Caribou Gear

Mavic Air drone, my new scouting partner

• Thread starter MN Public Hunter
  • Start date
Keep in mind that in many jurisdictions, if you get close enough to the animals to cause them to move, you may be "hunting" as its defined by law ("to kill, pursue, chase,...").

Game agencies have growing concerns about the use of drones for scouting and for herding game towards hunters. Regardless of how you feel about drones in public spaces, you don't want to be the poster child for the anti-drone side.

It's not called hunting, it's called harassing.

Here's the clip of when I crashed it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBDOHgGPIek

I really wanted to see what was up on the top of that ridge and the wind was blowing pretty good. It caught an updraft that flipped it over and I couldn't ever recover it.

You can see early in the video where the wind catches it and it corrects itself.
Thanks for the video and I hate to admit it, but I chuckled a little. I don't see myself flying in real heavy winds and hope this never happens to me. At least you recovered the unit.

My oldest grandson has one of those thing's. He got it over the old mill district in Bend a while back and posted a really nice photo of it. Till I saw that, I wasn't aware you could to make still photo's with one. I had a video digital one time and used it to take movies on people's dog working in the field. I work the dog and my wife ran the camera. Had an remote speaker on it and I could be a long way off and still talk on the video. Thee camera and the wife are gone now and I tried doing some video's with my dslr. My videos with it were pure crap> I sure miss that digital movie camer's

I’m not sure. I wasn’t trying to fly above 400’ but I may have. The top of that peak is 1,200’ above the camp so I had to override the 400’ limit as I flew up the side of the mountain. It’s pretty steep there so backing off just a little bit adds quite a bit of height.

Correct me if I am wrong but the law is 400 feet AGL (above ground level) So as long as you were not more than 400 feet above what is directly below the drone you are fine.

Correct me if I am wrong but the law is 400 feet AGL (above ground level) So as long as you were not more than 400 feet above what is directly below the drone you are fine.

Not 100% correct....You also need to be within 400 feet of the AGL structure as well at all times. Example: So you are flying in a valley in MT and you want to see what is over the hill(structure)..your drone has to be within 400 feet of the hill(structure) all the way up. You can't stand in the valley, go up to 1200 feet and then start to fly toward the hill and then go over. That also means on the way down you need to be within 400 feet as well to the hill. Also, once you do hit the top of the hill, you can go up another 400 to top out at 1600.

Last edited:

Yes, but with those kinds of slopes it gets kind of tricky to know really how high AGL you are.

The clip of the folks climbing T-shirt the climb is 1,200' of elevation gain in 1/2 mile horizontally so every 100 yards I back away it gains 135' AGL. If you are already 100' AGL you would just have to back off 300 yards before you ended up over 400' AGL. The display gives you the current elevation of the drone and the elevation it is above where it took off, but it is just eyeballing it and guesswork to know how far AGL you are at any given time.

Although I didn't intentionally go more than 400' AGL at anytime, I very possibly could have exceeded that.

Flying in the mountains for sure is a LOT trickier than the flat lands where I live. The wind does a lot of swirling around and you are constantly trying to keep from flying into trees, etc. Obviously I wasn't very good at it since I crashed it and it was way beyond repair when I recovered it.

Joined ya. Pulled the trigger... I've been wanting a higher end unit and dji seems to be that upper bracket.

I went to Best Buy... Haggled forever over a Mavic Pro go package... They are overpriced. Saw another Mavic Pro deal on 4K4Less and tried to get Best Buy to match though they would not... Thankfully they didn't and I didn't buy. Later a buddy sent me this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/DJI-Mavi...ry-Bundle-With-Waterproof-Case-More/744125943
This is the platnium Mavic Pro with the "mega" package. It includes Google's, 3 batteries, 64g ultrahd...
The Platnium is equivalent to dji's phantom 4 +. Or so some of the reviews state.it has been tuned 60% less db's, increased stability over the Mavic Pro.
Anyhow, in the event you've not pulled the trigger, check out this deal. The best we've found thus far.

Anyhow, for what it's worth. :)

Call the FAA. These days you need to be most of the way to a private pilot license to fly a UAV (not technically a drone unless it’s a fixed wing) unless it’s completely over your own property. 90% of the UAVs you see are being operated illegally. The FAA is likely the only agency with less sense of humor than the BATFE. Most states do not allow use of UAVs for hunting, and some don’t allow them for scouting either. You can thank the asshats that just have to fly them everywhere for that.

Somebody flew one over my property last night. Not thrilled. I'm sure they have positive uses, but I don't care for the invasion of my space. If I own the air above my property, can I shoot one down? mtmuley

Joined ya. Pulled the trigger... I've been wanting a higher end unit and dji seems to be that upper bracket.

I went to Best Buy... Haggled forever over a Mavic Pro go package... They are overpriced. Saw another Mavic Pro deal on 4K4Less and tried to get Best Buy to match though they would not... Thankfully they didn't and I didn't buy. Later a buddy sent me this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/DJI-Mavi...ry-Bundle-With-Waterproof-Case-More/744125943
This is the platnium Mavic Pro with the "mega" package. It includes Google's, 3 batteries, 64g ultrahd...
The Platnium is equivalent to dji's phantom 4 +. Or so some of the reviews state.it has been tuned 60% less db's, increased stability over the Mavic Pro.
Anyhow, in the event you've not pulled the trigger, check out this deal. The best we've found thus far.

Anyhow, for what it's worth. :)

Sounds like an awesome deal...Enjoy the new toy ! I keep trying to get out flying, but house work and high winds keep getting in the way. Hopefully this weekend.

Somebody flew one over my property last night. Not thrilled. I'm sure they have positive uses, but I don't care for the invasion of my space. If I own the air above my property, can I shoot one down? mtmuley

If you heard it, it must have been low because at 2-400 feet you should not hear it. People need to respect other people whether flying for fun or a business. I doubt you can legally shoot it down. :)

If you heard it, it must have been low because at 2-400 feet you should not hear it. People need to respect other people whether flying for fun or a business. I doubt you can legally shoot it down. :)

Yeah I heard it and saw it with the naked eye. You are right people need to have respect. Some don't. Legal or not, that drone might not make it past my place again. mtmuley

Clay pigeon time :hump: I'm thinking my old 10 gauge goose gun with the 36" barrel :cool:

Yeah I heard it and saw it with the naked eye. You are right people need to have respect. Some don't. Legal or not, that drone might not make it past my place again. mtmuley

Same. I would not be happy one bit to have an unknown drone over my property. Thankfully I'm on 10+ acres with two neighbors and border State Forest and Weyerhauser, soon to convert to public land trust. Flying around is a step out the door.
If I knew it was not one of my two neighbor's drone... It may accidentally collide with a bunch of shot.

A deffinate for all interested;

https://www.faa.gov/uas/

Do I need permission from the FAA to fly a UAS for recreation or as a hobby?
There are two ways for recreational or hobby UAS fliers to operate in the National Airspace System in accordance with the law and/or FAA regulations. Each of the two options has specific requirements that the UAS operator must follow. The decision as to which option to follow is up to the individual operator.

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

Register their UAS with the FAA
Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
Give way to manned aircraft
Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

Option #2. Fly under the FAA's Small UAS Rule (14 CFR part 107). Under this rule, operators must:

Register their UAS with the FAA as a "non-modeler"
Obtain an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate
Follow the operational requirements (PDF) of Part 107

Does the new Small UAS Rule (part 107) apply to recreational UAS operations?
Part 107 does not apply to UAS flown strictly for fun (hobby or recreational purposes) as long as these unmanned aircraft are flown in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Section 336 of P.L. 112-95). Visit our "Fly for Fun" webpage for safety rules and guidelines that apply to recreational UAS operations. The small UAS rule codifies the provisions of section 336 in part 101 of the FAA's regulations, which will prohibit operating a UAS in manner that endangers the safety of the National Airspace System.

I was a bit bummed about no use in the Wilderness designated areas. Thought it would be a great way to preserve the memories and share with friends & family.
It's (imo) the EXACT same thing as a video/photo camera, from an aerial perspective... Absolutely leaves the land untrammeled by mankind, etc. Fitting the opening statements of the Wilderness Act, though it is what it is.
I somewhat consider this psychologically along the lines of the initial (and some remaining presence) disdain for snowboarding when they began taking to the slopes... Now? USA holds American, pride filled Olympic medals.

In the end, there will always be bad apples and for those who disapprove, those bad apples will be their soapbox content to share. :)

Edit: oh, in my prior post, my phone pulled an auto F-up and changed goggles to "Google's". Conspiracy theory as I type from my Google pixel XL phone... Haha!

Last edited:

I don't know, but it'd probably be fun to try.

Anxiously awaiting delivery of the drone... Several days remain, I've been watching various YouTube videos.
Beginner guides for the Platnium
Comparison guides for the various drones
Videography edumacation

For any who have the Mavic Pro, the Platnium model propellers are designed the same fashion. Apparently, these blades help extend the battery life (rpm's reduced) and reduce the sound db's.

A nice option for anyone with the PRO to upgrade.

I may have to work out the 2 year operator wrecking insurance... As I type this, I envision a wreck...it's a good arse kick of dinero though in this case and considering the operator, might just have to bite the bullet.

I'll post up the three videos I found most worth my time.

First one is a beginner guide to prepping from the box to the flight.
He's a bit eccentric though he keeps it more entertaining than a power point instructor...

[video=youtube_share;ZIGk2xukmhY]https://youtu.be/ZIGk2xukmhY[/video]

This one is a good comparison between the pro and the Platinum. It covers the sound , the RPMs and just the overall review of the two units. It also covers how to upgrade the pro with the simple aspect of swapping propeller blades. A pretty decent review and presentation.

[video=youtube_share;5JZfLOOxAUQ]https://youtu.be/5JZfLOOxAUQ[/video]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back