Flyer with best groups.

goldenarrow

Hey Guys I'm having a little issue with fliers only with the otherwise tightest groups in am getting.

Riffle is a savage axis in 6.5 creedmore I get about 1.25 moa to 2 moa with factory ammo as well as most loads I have tried during load development with Barnes 127 lrx and reloader 16.

But with 40.5 grains I am giting 2780fps and 15sd and four out of the five shot group into 1/2 moa but their has always been one flyer 2 or 3 moa.

My scope isn't good enough to spot shots so I can't tell when in the string it is coming so it might be barrel heat.

Also the stock is flexible but it is free floated.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I have ten more loaded up and I plan to only shoot groups of three to minimize barrel heat. If i can get two sub moa three shot groups I will be satisfied for a hunting load.

I would suspect it’s you pulling the flier. Shooting off a bench, prone, lead sled? What’s your setup?

If I had a savage axis shooting a 1/2” 80% of the time, I’d be pretty tickled.

Yeah im shooting off a bench with a lead sled type of rest as well as with a Caldwell tac driver bag.

It sure could be me. Mayby something to do with my head position eye relief was messing with me at the range last time. I added a strap on cheek piece so we will see if that helps. I can usually keep my tikka 270 under 1moa with some groups under 1/2. I shot a 1/3 moa 3 shot group with the tikka the same time I shot the savage.

I tried RL 16 and gave up on for that same reason. Just when I think I had it I would get a flyer. I loaded up 20 of the same load and saw even more inconsistencies. I liked the speed but didn’t trust it as you never knew which one it would be.

I have read some similar articles out there that compare H4350 to RL16. All of them ended up sticking with H4350. That was enough for me so I switched and haven’t looked back.

I'd start by checking each shot on target one by one. Bottom line is there's an inconsistency somewhere, and the troubleshooting process starts. 0.5moa jumping to 2-3 is no minor variance.

I tried RL 16 and gave up on for that same reason. Just when I think I had it I would get a flyer. I loaded up 20 of the same load and saw even more inconsistencies. I liked the speed but didn’t trust it as you never knew which one it would be.

I have read some similar articles out there that compare H4350 to RL16. All of them ended up sticking with H4350. That was enough for me so I switched and haven’t looked back.

good luck finding 4350 locally, atleast on my end of the world it seems a little bit tougher. Varget has always treated me well.

I have most of a pound of h4350 but I hate to use it if I don't have too because it's so hard to find and money is a little tight for buying in bulk right now. If i can't get the re16 to work Ramshot Hunter might be an option it works great in my 270 and I have three pounds.

Could be any number of factors but I'd let the barrel cool longer. Test the 3 shot groups and see what happens. Also make sure the barrel is generously floated but it's still only a Tupperware stock. You could bed the recoil lug also.
What kind of scope? You also stated handloads. New brass? Fired? How was it sized?

I would say it's the guy pulling the trigger. That happen's to me now and then. Rifle that is just light's out with one load and suddenly a flyer shows up! No doubt in my mind that I caused the flyer! If your gun is shooting 1/2" group's not counting the flyer, what does the flyer generally open it up to. If your rifle is well bedded, work on your shooting skills! Hope it doesn't sound like I picking on you, no intention of that. What is happening to you happens to most people! The weak link in accuracy is the human.

Seating the bullet deeper sometimes works.

I had much rather use RL16 than H4350. Heck, I'd rather use IMR4350 over the H version any day.

Ok I just got back from the range 20180502_113034.jpg
Not sure if this will work but this was my first three shot group.

Last edited:
My guess would be barrel heat. That first group is excellent and how many times are you going to shoot more that 3 rounds hunting? I'd call it good.

I would say it’s probably you. Don’t feel bad though, lots of us struggle with it. I would take that load and run with it. Looks like a winner to me.

Here’s a 5 shot group from the other night. It’s without a doubt a one hole gun, IF I do my part...

B2FEBEEC-2392-42EC-9BF6-2DAAD66AFC47.jpg

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back