Montana Spring Bear Hunting

Sawyers permethrin spray is .5% and found in most WalMarts in these parts. Labeling of the Sawyers directs one to spray on external clothing, and allow to dry. Lasts for 6 weeks or 6 washings of the clothing.

Concentrated solutions are sold online and in most farm/animal supply stores as 10% solutions. 20:1 dilution gets you to the .5% of the Sawyers. The labels dictate animal usage only of this product. As the son of a veterinarian, I have used animal products "off label" for personal use quite successfully over the years..........the twitches are barely noticeable!!

Thanks guys for the info.
Sounds good. I'll drop it down to .5 or 1%. I need an excuse at camp for the twitching so two ticks with one stone...

Thanks Grant. I'll mix some in the event we run a little thin or JR joins the dark side of chemical warfare against the ticks... :)

Wow, just picked another one off me. Haven't done anything outside since Sunday.

It's still pretty snowy in my bear spots. The areas that are melting off don't have green grass in them yet to attract the bears. I'll give it a few more weeks.

I live in ND and ticks are always bad in the grasslands in the spring. Last year I grabbed a bottle of the horse permethrin from tractor supply before a little camping trip we did. I diluted it down in a 5 gallon bucket. Then soaked my clothes. Wrung them out and hung them to dry. When we got to the camping area my boy jumped out of the truck and was running through the grass with his friends. In 1 minute he had 17 ticks on him. I found 1 tick on me the entire weekend and almost as soon as I saw it the thing fell off my knee. He didn't have any synthetic clothing really and I was afraid his cotton stuff wouldn't dry in time since I got it the night before we left.

Buying the stronger stuff and diluting it yourself is the least expensive way. And I know every stitch is covered since I am soaking the entire piece of clothing. Just make sure to wear rubber gloves and let it dry before wearing them.

I got a bunch of these little guys on me a couple years ago. It is on my pointer finger. And my fingers are not that big. I hate ticks.
Untitled by dirtytough, on Flickr

Went out again yesterday in the Flathead area and damn there are a lot of ticks. As soon as I got home and showered off, I went straight to Walgreens and bought some spray. Also, I came across this scat far (1.5 miles) from any driveable road so I doubt it’s a dog. It has a good amount of hair in it but wasn’t sure if it was bear, wold or coyote. Any input appreciated. Haha, love this site. Where else besides a proctologist can I ask someone to analyze my shit without getting any weird looks.

Attachments

• C808E3D8-3610-4787-9403-A9904C5F9ECF.jpg
    C808E3D8-3610-4787-9403-A9904C5F9ECF.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 1,044
Took the Wife out Bear looking this afternoon. We found some nice country but not a Bear in sight . The Run off is going strong with this weather . Back at it Soon .

Went out in 380 with the wife Friday, beautiful day but now bears and lots of closed gates yet in 380. After the 15th it should be interesting to see where we can get too, lots of snow.

Well I have been working on a foundation in the rain for a few days . It's time to to hit the Bear woods , must be better than working in the Rain !
Good luck to all headed out this weekend !!

Was out in the Bridgers a couple days ago, and found the same problems...still lots of snow up higher, and lots of melting/run off. I could only get about 1/2 way to the area I had planned to hunt, and decided it wasn't really worth trekking that far across patches of knee deep snow since there wasn't anything green anywhere close to there yet...

Hoping to make it out tomorrow evening with the wife, she is working nights tonight, so will need a nap in morning. Did a quick walkabout this morning looking for morels in the valley, nothing. Wind blew up here around one and has been howling since, just lit fire in wood stove, starting to wonder if winter is ever going to end in MT this year......

I spent some time in the Bridgers in 2006 ..ended up with a nice 7 x 7 mule deer ! That was some tough country , straight up and hard going down .

I’m still waiting on that coveted 312 tag for the Bridger Muleys! I’ve done a bit back in 393, but havent seen anything that nice yet...

The Bridgers tag is the biggest joke of a mule deer tag I've ever seen. Coveted trophy tag ..... what a joke.

The Bridgers tag is the biggest joke of a mule deer tag I've ever seen. Coveted trophy tag ..... what a joke.

Enlighten me...I live near by and have been applying. Seems like some nice deer up there, and not much pressure (50 or 75 tags I think?) Added info appreciated...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back