Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 136
  1. Default

    I wonder why we don't have an early Bear season in NC?

    Is this a Western thing or reserved to only a few states?

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In the Sagebrush of Montana
    Posts
    2,667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atla View Post
    I wonder why we don't have an early Bear season in NC?

    Is this a Western thing or reserved to only a few states?
    That's on your state's game commission but I'm sure there is some major opposition. Technically yes it's a western states thing but several western states don't have spring hunts...Colorado is one and possibly NM, CA, and NV though I haven't researched that.

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cullboss View Post
    I got lucky we hunted hard for 5 days. This was the only bear we seen. Did see a ton of ticks though.
    Congrats!

    Looks like the ticks are going to be bad everywhere this year.

  4. #54

    Default

    Man, this time of year is pretty tough. The weather's getting nice, the snow is clearing out; I'm always really wanting to get out there and bear hunt. But the kids are doing a hundred different things, work is getting busier, and it seems like all I can do is work and take my kids to and from one activity or another. It can be frustrating.

    I'll stop whining now.
    Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

    Micah 6:8

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in Montana View Post
    Man, this time of year is pretty tough. The weather's getting nice, the snow is clearing out; I'm always really wanting to get out there and bear hunt. But the kids are doing a hundred different things, work is getting busier, and it seems like all I can do is work and take my kids to and from one activity or another. It can be frustrating.

    I'll stop whining now.
    Thats why I no longer have a wife and stay abstinent

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kalispell , Montana
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cullboss View Post
    I got lucky we hunted hard for 5 days. This was the only bear we seen. Did see a ton of ticks though.
    Congrads on the Bear !!
    I'm sure we will see some soon !!

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kalispell , Montana
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by el unit View Post
    Starting to see fresh bear tracks and bear scat around here! Will head out tonight after today's Fleecer WMA horseback ride.

    Congrats on the bear Cullboss!

    Attachment 82803
    Congrads on the Find !!
    I'm ready to get back at it !
    Good luck to you!

  8. #58

    Default

    Thanks everybody it was tough very little sign, I think its still just a little to early yet.

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in Montana View Post
    Man, this time of year is pretty tough. The weather's getting nice, the snow is clearing out; I'm always really wanting to get out there and bear hunt. But the kids are doing a hundred different things, work is getting busier, and it seems like all I can do is work and take my kids to and from one activity or another. It can be frustrating.

    I'll stop whining now.
    You could consider donating your children to the circus. They would still get to travel around to many activities. You would free up time for hunting. You'd save a lot of money and work less. All problems solved.

  10. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    You could consider donating your children to the circus. They would still get to travel around to many activities. You would free up time for hunting. You'd save a lot of money and work less. All problems solved.
    I might look into that. I'm pretty sure my kids are at least half monkey anyway.
    Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

    Micah 6:8

  11. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    You could consider donating your children to the circus. They would still get to travel around to many activities. You would free up time for hunting. You'd save a lot of money and work less. All problems solved.
    haha - I was mostly just joking with Brian, but that is funny

  12. #62

    Default

    Another trip and zip...... it's gonna have break free soon good Lord! I'll second the donation as long as wife goes too! Haha back at it tomorrow night!
    Ain't doing half bad for a half full glass - Drake White

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kalispell , Montana
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Just got back to the House , it was a great trip with the wife out looking for a bear . Hiked into a new place this afternoon , no sign anywhere. We did bump a Moose that was exciting for a few heart pounding minutes!! I think we both jumped out of our boots . Oh and 13 ticks to add to the list !
    We will head out Saturday morning and If I get done early at work tomorrow, maybe sneek in a hunt !!

    Our Anniversary is Saturday and she wants to find a Bear !

    23 Years and counting !!

  14. #64

    Default

    Congrats Perch, persistence is deadly you and your wife are more then due. Took 7 outings for me this year to turn one up and last night it finally happend.... turned up 5..... no shooters. I was beginning to wonder if remembered what they look like. Ill be out with my wife Saturday!
    Ain't doing half bad for a half full glass - Drake White

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kalispell , Montana
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EYJONAS! View Post
    Congrats Perch, persistence is deadly you and your wife are more then due. Took 7 outings for me this year to turn one up and last night it finally happend.... turned up 5..... no shooters. I was beginning to wonder if remembered what they look like. Ill be out with my wife Saturday!
    Thanks !! We are trying our best to make it happen . I just finished up at work and when I walked through the door my wife asked what do I have planned in the Morning!!
    She is ready to roll !!
    Congrads on your finds !! It's just heart pounding when you get one in the Binos !!
    Well good luck all this weekend !!

  16. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cullboss View Post
    I got lucky we hunted hard for 5 days. This was the only bear we seen. Did see a ton of ticks though.
    Congratulations, Cullboss. That is a pretty bear. We donít have a spring season in West Virginia and we donít seem to have any color phase bears.

  17. #67

    Default

    The spot I've been focusing on seems to have no bears. Today I saw about 2 dozen antelope, 5 moose, and the elk are uncountable at this point. It's a big riparian area where several creeks converge in a huge meadow. Lots of grass. Big-time spring range for elk, but I haven't seen a bear. I think next weekend I'm going to go higher. The snow isn't coming off the high country as fast as in past years, but I can probably get up into some places I've seen them by next week.
    Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly.

    Micah 6:8

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kalispell , Montana
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Well persistence played off ! We found 23 piles of Scatt yesterday!! Holy Smokes so excited !!
    We tryed yet a new area yesterday and it's Amazing!!
    We were driving into a trail to park at the gate and seen a little black bear just eating the grass as fast as he could bite !! He or she took off instantly , but that got us excited.
    We grabbed the packs and rifle and hit the trail . We just kept finding more and more Scatt . Some small and some well it was big and a heck of a pile .
    We hiked the three different trails that were part of this system . No Bears ...decided to leave that area and start out ride back home ..its now about 6:00 PM. My wife was whipped from all the hiking , we started about 8:40 in the am . We are now about a 1/4 mile above the trails we had hiked and come around a curve and I'm not sure why but I looked behind us towards the left and spotted a very large black spot , yes its moving !
    Wife and I jump out of the truck with binos in hand and watch him for about 35 min. I shot him with the range finder twice ...932..934... well just to far for her to shoot and get a clean hit. I had my gun along also and it's set up to shoot steel st 1500 yards but she hasn't shot as anything past 565 yards with her 300 ultra .
    So we watched him until he slipped away.

    We will be back at that spot this afternoon and try to get in on him !!
    Oh ps....
    NO TICKS yesterday !!! My wife found some good spray !!

    It amazing how hard we have been at it this Spring !!
    My wife had Thyroid surgery a while back and lost 50% of her breathing ability so we have to be careful on our hunts.
    Wow I'm long winded this morning . Ha ha

    Back at it this afternoon !!

  19. #69

    Default

    Great to follow along. Best to all within the thread !

    Perchman, I don't think I've ever run into that many piles in one trek! That is amazing!
    " There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt
    Live to work or work to live... Your choice.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wise River, MT
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    Good luck Perchman! Sounds like you're getting closer and closer each time. Hope you connect today.

    2 different sets of fresh tracks and 3 new piles of scat found on this morning's hike for me. Lots of elk and moose here too.
    "The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world" Del Gue

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kalispell , Montana
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Ok it's On!!
    Time to go get that Big Bear !!
    Changed trucks , going with out Camo , got my cleanest pair of dirty Jean's on !!!
    Best of luck to all that's on the Quest for the One !!
    Will report back tonight ...good or bad news !

  22. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MT.PERCHMAN View Post
    Ok it's On!!
    Time to go get that Big Bear !!
    Changed trucks , going with out Camo , got my cleanest pair of dirty Jean's on !!!
    Best of luck to all that's on the Quest for the One !!
    Will report back tonight ...good or bad news !
    Good luck—enjoying your posts!

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Kalispell , Montana
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Well it is 12:39 ..guess it would be called Monday . We made it back home with out the Bear ..BUT I'm headed back out in the am my wife hit one tonight but it dropped of the darn two track and went into the thick stuff !! Good blood on the ground and on a few logs .

    Im just as tough as the next guy ..but looking for a wounded bear in the thick stuff on my hands and knees is not the Smart thing to do at almost dark .

    My Wife is going to the Dr.in the am with my daughter for a check up . My daughter is 8 months pregnant! Excited Grandpa for sure !!

    Back to the Bear it's a smaller one but its Chocolate in Color !! Just what my Wife wants !
    We were walking down the two track and were talking about turning around to get back to the truck before dark. She was ready and I said let's just look around this corner , it's new country for us .
    I was carrying the rifle and she was looking with the binos ti out left and I just took one more step and seen the bear . I stopped and backed up a few steps and handed her the rifle . She moved up slowly and took a peek . She said no it's to small if you want it go ahead . So I took the gun and she raised her binos ...well as soon as she seen the Chocolate Color she grabbed for the gun !! The rest is still yet to be found in the Morning!!
    Thanks all for following us on my Wifes Bear hunt !!
    I will have more to tell in the afternoon !!

    Good night all it 1:00 am and I'm seeing cross eyed now ..

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Wise River, MT
    Posts
    1,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MT.PERCHMAN View Post
    Well it is 12:39 ..guess it would be called Monday . We made it back home with out the Bear ..BUT I'm headed back out in the am my wife hit one tonight but it dropped of the darn two track and went into the thick stuff !! Good blood on the ground and on a few logs .

    Im just as tough as the next guy ..but looking for a wounded bear in the thick stuff on my hands and knees is not the Smart thing to do at almost dark .

    My Wife is going to the Dr.in the am with my daughter for a check up . My daughter is 8 months pregnant! Excited Grandpa for sure !!

    Back to the Bear it's a smaller one but its Chocolate in Color !! Just what my Wife wants !
    We were walking down the two track and were talking about turning around to get back to the truck before dark. She was ready and I said let's just look around this corner , it's new country for us .
    I was carrying the rifle and she was looking with the binos ti out left and I just took one more step and seen the bear . I stopped and backed up a few steps and handed her the rifle . She moved up slowly and took a peek . She said no it's to small if you want it go ahead . So I took the gun and she raised her binos ...well as soon as she seen the Chocolate Color she grabbed for the gun !! The rest is still yet to be found in the Morning!!
    Thanks all for following us on my Wifes Bear hunt !!
    I will have more to tell in the afternoon !!

    Good night all it 1:00 am and I'm seeing cross eyed now ..
    Excellent! Excited to hear today's update with pictures!
    "The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world" Del Gue

  25. #75

    Default

    Nice! Perseverance paid off! Grats to both of you.
    " There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people." - Theodore Roosevelt
    Live to work or work to live... Your choice.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •