Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana Spring Bear Hunting

Close, but no cigar last night on the big black bear. First time ever seeing him in person! (100 yards) Now if I was carrying the rifle instead of the bow...

Here's what I'm doing today. Surprisingly I have really good cell signal up here.

Attachments

• 20180526_093644.jpg
    20180526_093644.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 522
I had some success Thursday before dark. Great evening with 6 bears spotted. This was being the 2nd shooter. I was 50/50 boar or sow on this one, but I went for it. I ended up missing her at 178 yards somehow and she came back out minutes later. So I stayed above her and then snuck all the way to 20 yards for an easy shot. She rolled down into the most beautiful creek. Wish I had better light for pics but they turned out decent enough. She's not my biggest bear but definitely has some character and I am happy to have got her . Anybody have any insight or houghts on what caused this to happen to the old gal??????????????? She's show some decent wear on her teeth but not the worst I've ever seen I would guess here at about 8 to 10 years old.

Attachments

• 20180524_203824.jpg
    20180524_203824.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 496
  • 20180524_204857.jpg
    20180524_204857.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 492
Very nice, Maginnis! Grats!

Great perched position, Brian! :) I need to find myself one of those points... My areas are basically overgrown roads with the hopes I creep up on them before they creep up on me or bug out... Griz/Black mix... 28th is my last go for a blacky...

I have heard den mites cause the hair to go off the face especially on older bears. Nice work all. Saving some elk calves!

No bear for the wifey she has been a real trooper this season we've been out the past 5 nights this week looking and just haven't had the right setup. Tonight we went all in on a nice boar and mother nature had another idea for us. Last night we were on a different bear getting her dialed and setup making sure there was not a cub for the 6th time and right when i tell her to send it..... elk charge the bear and he books it outta there. Didn't come back out, the other encounters..... either too far or sow with cub. Maybe we will try a June trip!

she fuggly McGinnis..... she looks like that princess off planet of the apes

No bear for the wifey she has been a real trooper this season we've been out the past 5 nights this week looking and just haven't had the right setup. Tonight we went all in on a nice boar and mother nature had another idea for us. Last night we were on a different bear getting her dialed and setup making sure there was not a cub for the 6th time and right when i tell her to send it..... elk charge the bear and he books it outta there. Didn't come back out, the other encounters..... either too far or sow with cub. Maybe we will try a June trip!

It's just as fun sometimes to just be there and see them !
No Bear this year for my wife either , my daughter was in the ER last night . The baby is getting real close !
We were just talking the other night when we went out a few springs ago looking for a bear and seen a big Sow with two light colored little ones . My wife just enjoyed the view when a Mt.Lion came out into the Park and was trying to get one of the Cubs . My wife was going crazy , she just loves the little one ! Mama did her thing and the Cubs where headed for the trees . She turned back at the Lion and charged it . The old lion didn't want anything to do with the Mama Bear !
Within 15 min. the Cubs were back out eating again !
I think were we very lucky to see Nature at it's best!
Best of luck to your Wife in June !
Im going to try to sneek away one more time . I'm on baby sitting duty if my daughter heads in for # 2 !!

I had some success Thursday before dark. Great evening with 6 bears spotted. This was being the 2nd shooter. I was 50/50 boar or sow on this one, but I went for it. I ended up missing her at 178 yards somehow and she came back out minutes later. So I stayed above her and then snuck all the way to 20 yards for an easy shot. She rolled down into the most beautiful creek. Wish I had better light for pics but they turned out decent enough. She's not my biggest bear but definitely has some character and I am happy to have got her . Anybody have any insight or houghts on what caused this to happen to the old gal??????????????? She's show some decent wear on her teeth but not the worst I've ever seen I would guess here at about 8 to 10 years old.

Congrads on the Bear !
Hair or no hair it's a trophy!!

We were just talking the other night when we went out a few springs ago looking for a bear and seen a big Sow with two light colored little ones . My wife just enjoyed the view when a Mt.Lion came out into the Park and was trying to get one of the Cubs . My wife was going crazy , she just loves the little one ! Mama did her thing and the Cubs where headed for the trees . She turned back at the Lion and charged it . The old lion didn't want anything to do with the Mama Bear !
Within 15 min. the Cubs were back out eating again !
I think were we very lucky to see Nature at it's best

Where was Marty Stouffer when you needed him??

What a cooooool thing to have witnessed.

Unreal sighting perch that would make my season right there. Good luck with the new addition hope all is well, with momma and little one.

Where was Marty Stouffer when you needed him??

What a cooooool thing to have witnessed.

I was looking to the right with the spotting scope and my wife says what the heck is that deer doing with the bear. I grabbed the bino's and seen the long tail and for a few seconds I was speechless....that was my first cat I have ever seen . I have been tracked by a pair of them but but never seen them .
It was a few min. We will always remember !!!

Awesome stories everyone, I've been out around Bozeman the last few days trying to find one for my daughter. Its sure nice to be in the mountains. Well give it a couple more days trying to find one without Cubs or where we can get closer to it. Its sure been fun watching the ones we have seen though.

Awesome stories everyone, I've been out around Bozeman the last few days trying to find one for my daughter. Its sure nice to be in the mountains. Well give it a couple more days trying to find one without Cubs or where we can get closer to it. Its sure been fun watching the ones we have seen though.

Well I'm glad your seeing some Bears ! It just gets my wife excited to see them , she would bear hunt over anything else !
Best of luck to you and your Daughter !!

I don’t really bear hunt but I did take my bow with me on a weekend overnighted. Ended up within range but not on purpose and not on the right kind of bear. Sorry for the poor image. Backed out with no time for the phoneskope

260617F3-C309-407D-BE95-7EE075F4A332.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back