Eastern Wyoming Whitetail or Mule deer

TexanSam

Hey folks,

Since I did not draw new Mexico, I think I'm going to burn my lonely Wyoming antelope point and go to an easy to draw area in eastern Wyoming and bring some of the GF's family with me.

That being said, I'd like to also maybe maximize the amount of meat we would be bringing back to Texas and Florida, and maybe look into putting in for a general deer tag, that being said, from what I've read, the mule deer herd in eastern Wyoming isn't that great, so I must ask, would I be better off just putting in for a Whitetail tag, or even a doe/fawn tag? I'm not partial to either or, but if there is a chance at a mule deer, it would be nice to get somwthing that doesn't frequent my neck of the woods.

Thanks, and let's pray I draw something at least lol

Take a look at the Regulations Section for Region A for deer. There are quite a few of the units that the tag is good for either species depending on where you are hunting (private or public). There are also plenty of antelope tags, including doe/fawn tags that don't use points and the seasons overlap and are open until 11/20

Last edited:
Take a look at the Regulations Section for Region A for deer. There are quite a few of the units that the tag is good for either species depending on where you are hunting (private of public). There are also plenty of antelope tags, including doe/fawn tags that don't use points and the seasons overlap and are open until 11/20

I wasn't aware that the tag was for either species lol... Well I guess that settled that. I was also on the fence between A and B but I suppose more research will yield more results. Thanks for the help!

Hey folks,

Since I did not draw new Mexico, I think I'm going to burn my lonely Wyoming antelope point and go to an easy to draw area in eastern Wyoming and bring some of the GF's family with me.

That being said, I'd like to also maybe maximize the amount of meat we would be bringing back to Texas and Florida, and maybe look into putting in for a general deer tag, that being said, from what I've read, the mule deer herd in eastern Wyoming isn't that great, so I must ask, would I be better off just putting in for a Whitetail tag, or even a doe/fawn tag? I'm not partial to either or, but if there is a chance at a mule deer, it would be nice to get somwthing that doesn't frequent my neck of the woods.

Thanks, and let's pray I draw something at least lol

Since you want to maximize meat make sure you pay attention to the area and possibility of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). Across portions of Eastern Wyoming, it can be prevalent. The topic of whether you should eat the meat of a deer that tests positive is far beyond the topic of this post, but some are comfortable and some are not. Not knowing where you sit on the argument I figured it was worth mentioning.

That being said I think that you have a chance of seeing a decent mule deer in Eastern Wyoming, so take the "head not doing so well" with a grain of salt. It's not what Area G was a couple of years ago, but you can still have a lot of fun and see some good deer if you do your homework and find public land.

Last edited:
Access for mule deer will be hard to find but whitetails different story.
I would look into doe tags for antelope and deer.
Depends on which part of eastern Wyoming you're talking about too. Look at the HMA's and walk in areas.

I live in the epicenter for CWD and have not had any animals tested for years. You will have to be careful as to what you take out of Wyoming from a deer, no brain or spinal column. You'll need to clean the skullcap on a buck deer, remove the meat and skin and the brain cavity lining, easiest to just cut the skull cap off and not take the whole head.
Just don't harvest a sickly looking deer.

After the hunt be sure to take a drive over to the mountains west of Laramie. Take Highway 34 through Sybille Canyon and see some elk at the state research facility by the highway and maybe some wild bighorn sheep on the drive through.

pm sent

Just don't harvest a sickly looking deer.

A deer can have it nearly two years before they show any symptoms. I personally know of 6 perfectly healthy looking deer that tested positive last year.

I have a zero tolerance policy for my consumption of CWD positive meat. Everyone needs to pick their own tolerance of risk however. Mine went from not really caring to not a chance of consumption after the macque study came out.

NE Wyoming also has relatively low prevalence.

A deer can have it nearly two years before they show any symptoms. I personally know of 6 perfectly healthy looking deer that tested positive last year.

I have a zero tolerance policy for my consumption of CWD positive meat. Everyone needs to pick their own tolerance of risk however. Mine went from not really caring to not a chance of consumption after the macque study came out.

That species jumping study with the monkeys contracting CWD was an eye opener for me as well. It's here to stay however.

Y'all are way too helpful, I was expecting people to say "no deer or antelope in wyoming, try somewhere else" lol

Anyways I guess I better write up my 2018 hunting saga for everyone to read about lol

You'll make some brownie points by giving up some DIY hog hunting advice.

Most folks on here don't mind helping out a bit, we do like some reciprocity.

We have harvested at least 3 animals over the last 5 years that looked completely healthy that came back positive.

You'll make some brownie points by giving up some DIY hog hunting advice.

Most folks on here don't mind helping out a bit, we do like some reciprocity.

Most the land in the public land book published for the state of tejas is marginal at best. There's some good public land run by the Corps that can be pretty good. In the late spring and early summer in muddy sticky River bottoms (think spots you would come across scouting for ducks) are good, after a good rain you can expect them to get out from the Creek bottoms and into the open more.

Get a region a deer tag , easy to draw , not much issue killing a whitail and with a little homework you'll find areas were there are mulies ..it's a fun hunt up there not many giants , but lots of numbers

Well folks, now that its all said and done here's what I did:

-Unit 7 buck antelope, I have 1 point going into this so unless point creep is bad this year I think I have that one.
-Unit 7 Doe Antelope, not gonna be picky with this one, I did only get one tag. For some reason I feel that it would be more than my fair share to get 2
-Region B general deer tag: I know that this might be a hard tag to fill, but I am willing to drive all over the region (if I fill both antelope tags) and focusing on deer. Looking at OnX and google earth, I have a feeling its going to be just a pocket of the region that would be considered "deer habitat". Whether I see a Muley buck, or any whitetail, the first one in range I'll take a shot at.

No matter what happens, I am excited to embark on this adventure this fall. I really hope I manage to get something. My next question for y'all is: where do you find ranches that allow a trespass fee, and do y'all think it would be worth it to pay it or is the public land sufficient enough to keep someone like me occupied chasing these critters?

Lots of whitetails around the lake near Glendo going to the East towards Torrington.

As far as those wanting to hunt hogs, as was mentioned COE land is by far the best. Most of the lakes/rivers have a large footprint when in flood stages that is dry most of the time and holds hogs as well as deer. By far the best public land hunting in Texas IMO. A guy with a small boat can do plenty of hunting without much pressure in Texas and Oklahoma.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back