Spotted Seatrout

Boarmaster

Caught a nice seatrout yesterday so I ate it for dinner. I usually fry Seatrout but I blackened this. Redbeans and rice where not my usual either these where a quicky version. Fish was suprisingly great.image.jpg

You have Sea Trout? Tell me more!
They are my fishing passion in the UK
Any photos of them?
Is it a Sea run brown trout?
Cheers
Richard

Tarheel answered your question. They are probably the most caught game fish down here. Honestly i didnt have much hope in the way I prepared it but I saw a recipe online so I tried it. Basically apply whatever blackening seasoning you prefer and saute in coconut oil. I used my cast iron pan. I ate it about 5 hrs after I caught it so pretty fresh. Alot of times its a bit muchy. Best to get it on ice as soon as you can. Stays firmer. image.jpg

Excellent!

I just returned from SW Florida yesterday with my family. We had an awesome time down there and the fishing, especially for trout, was outstanding! Honestly, there is no wrong way to make a sea trout, in my opinion. Everyone loved them, including my daughter.

IMG_4835.jpg

We had it blackened

IMG_1915.jpg

In foil packets with potatoes, shrimp, and scallops (my favorite)
IMG_1956.jpg

And Caribbean jerk style, which I wasn't as huge a fan of.

I also caught my first redfish which was equally, if not more delicious than the trout.
IMG_1921.jpg

And first spanish mackerel. I was warned that they are terrible, but I found it quite tasty.
IMG_1924.jpg

Southwest Florida is truly a fisherman's paradise, especially after the long winter we've had in Minnesota this year. I'm envious of anyone that gets to spend a winter fishing down there. A week just isn't enough to even scratch the surface of the opportunities, even for someone mostly limited to the beach. Next year I'm going to spend more time in a kayak chasing redfish. I was limited to about 2 hours this year and it was the highlight of the trip. In addition to trout, redfish, and mackerel, I got a bunch of snook, ladyfish, mangrove snapper, jacks, and a couple blue runners. The red tide that was going on seemed to have killed off the catfish that usually make up a big part of my bag. I didn't catch a single one on this trip and there were thousands dead on the beaches.

I'm going to be in the Naples FL area in a couple of weeks and was thinking of taking my rod & reel (saltwater capable if course) and was wondering what the rules are? License needed or not, can you fish from shore or will I need waders or rent a kayak. Thanks for info. Dan.

You'll need a NR saltwater fishing license. No need for waders, the water was 84 degrees already. Just shuffle your feet for stingrays. You can fish from shore or rent a kayak. I could catch all the trout, jacks, and ladyfish I wanted from shore, as well as snook at night. For redfish and mangrove snapper I needed a kayak to get to the mangrove edges. I used 20 lb (6 lb diameter) braid with a 30 lb fluoro leader. By far my best lure is a Mirrolure Mirrodine XL. I've caught everything with it. Be sure to tie a no-slip loop knot with it or you don't get the right action with the heavy leader. A jig and shrimp or a free-lined shrimp on a light circle hook will also catch just about anything.

Good luck, you'll love it!

I like macks as well. I eat them with my grits for breakfast. Never had a bad one. I like my redfish either on the grill or baked in a creole sauce. Snook is great anyway you cook it. In my opinion its the best image.jpgeating fish we have here. Mangrove snapper is a sweet tasting fish. I used to have a flats skiff as well as did most of my fishing buddies but we all have sold out skiffs and are using yaks. Heres my current rig.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 177
Sweet set up, Boarmaster!! I'd love to have something like that to fish out of!

Its been quite an adventure. We are all in our 50's so we are very careful not get ourselves in any trouble.
You were down here during one of the best months for flats fishing. What town where you staying in?

Its been quite an adventure. We are all in our 50's so we are very careful not get ourselves in any trouble.
You were down here during one of the best months for flats fishing. What town where you staying in?

We stay in Ft Myers Beach and go at the end of April when the spring breakers and many of the snowbirds have left. An added benefit is pretty consistent fishing. We have a free place to stay down there and can always manage enough credit card points for free airfare, so it's a great, cheap trip. I look forward to it every year. Unfortunately I'm just a bit too far from the water to rent a kayak for a week, so I can't really get one set up well for fishing. But, I make do.

Right now we are fishing in Matlacha Pass . Launching out of Gulfcoast Kayaks. They have rental yaks there. We will start moving out into Pine Island Sound and Estero Bay as the wind dies down.

Love speceled trout! We use to fish the Navarre area in October and catch some big ones.

I've been racking my cranium trying to figure out what I want to do this fall. 'Lopes? Bear? PA, or KY elk???? Nothing was really setting me on fire. Did want to include my 338 Fed in the mix though.

The NC coast is always one of my viable alternatives because I bought a lifetime hunting license back in the 80's.

A bear/deer/trout/flounder week is starting to look pretty d@mn good. I've got all the equipment, a days drive, and there's a couple of us old timers I haven't seen in 5 years.

Thanks for the post !

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back