Yeti GOBOX Collection

Federal Cartidges vs. my Tikka Rifle

FreeAir84

Has anyone else had issues with a particular manufacturer’s cartridges fitting in their rifles? I shoot a Tikka T3 Light in .300 WSM and I can’t close the bolt when loading factory Federal rounds. Being a newbie with ammo, I switched to Winchester Silvertips and they fit great. Going to try some Nosslers the next time I head to the range and see how they do. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this? Thanks!

Yep, had the same problem with Federal Trophy Bonded Tips in my 300 WSM A Bolt. Picked up a box of 165's and 180's to try, 165's chambered fine, couldn't get the bolt to close with the 180's.

I had a similar issue with federal premium loads in a 700 SPS in 300WSM. It wasn't until I started handloading that I got the gun to load that brass and I full length resized and trimmed. Now I don't worry about it.

I had some similar issues in an old Vanguard in 300WSM. It always shot Federal Trophy Copper really well but it was hard to close the bolt with that round (and others). I could always close it, but I noticed there was always a small dent on the spent brass just before it necked down. I sold the rifle a couple years ago, but this thread is interesting to read.

One of my Tikka's (.270 win T3 / blued barrel) had a headspace issue out of the box. It wouldn't chamber anything. I couldn't close the bolt on Federal, Winchester, or Hornady ammo. I sent the rifle back and they fixed it and sent it back a few weeks later and it has shot fine ever since.

If it's just the federal cartridges, it's likely a federal sizing issue. Federal will make it right if you sent them back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back