Montana deer tags

Flatlander3

Coming from MN I find the montana tags/license very co fusing. I have tried to understand the differences and research the prices but am still unsure of everything. Can someone shed some light on the Montana non resident deer tags?

-What's the difference between general tag and season B?

-I cant find much on the 700 units. Is this a set number of non resident tags or is there a lottery system with preference points?

-How much is a non resident deer license? I see the deer combo but had to find just the plain price for deer only. Is the deer combo the license and you have to get all of the bird and fishing add onx? 625$?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm a young guy trying to figure the western hunts out hoping to give it a try someday.

Thanks

Last edited:
1. General/A is generally altered animal unless regs state otherwise. B tags are generally antlerless, again, unless regs state differently.

2.NR tags do go through the lottery, but there may be leftovers you can get through FWP.

3. You have to get everything, I believe.

Also see Randy's YouTube for more in depth info. Also call MTFWP directly and pick their brain.

Welcome to the forums.

It's really not tough . Deer combo is 600 roughly and is good statewide except for coupe hds . B tags are doe tags . If u want a gen deer combo u needed to apply by march 15 as they sold out

The deer combo is cheaper, but fewer are available than the deer/elk. The general deer tag is good for any unit that isn't permit only. It's good for whitetail or muleys as laid out in the individual unit. In Minnesota, you buy a license for a single unit and a single season. In Montana, your license is potentially valid statewide, for archery (provided you have the bow & arrow endorsement) and rifle seasons, but you have to abide by the rules of whatever unit you are hunting in. It can be confusing if you are unit-hopping. You can take an antlered whitetail buck in almost any unit on the general license. There are quite a few units where you can take an antlered mule deer on the general license. However, if you draw a limited antlered mule deer tag you can't hunt antlered mule deer anywhere else in the state, so I don't bother applying for limited deer tags.

B tags are antlerless only, generally whitetail. Some are available OTC, and some are valid region-wide. There are B tags for muleys and even elk, but you generally have to draw them. The B tag, unlike the permit, is an additional deer beyond your general tag. In some areas you can get several B tags.

Nonresident tags are limited to no more than 10% of tags in any unit.

You can get information on any unit you want at http://fwp.mt.gov/gis/maps/huntPlanner/?species=deer. Do some browsing on the FWP site, there are a couple of areas with transport restrictions due to CWD.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back