Thompson Center Strike Rifle?

Ranger260

I am new to muzzleloading, and looking for a rifle to get started. Like many, I am an avid rifleman, but haven't branched into the world of blackpowder. I'd like to expand my horizons and hunting opportunities with a modern inline rifle. I've mostly been interested in the CVA Optima (for low price) and the CVA Accura (for accurate Bergara barrel). But I find them to be a bit heavy and a little clunky. I handled a TC Strike today and I liked the way it handled...shouldered and pointed well...and it seemed to have great features. I found a great deal [about half price] on this rifle that may cause me to stray from CVA. Do any of you have any experience or knowledge on this rifle? I would like to use this gun mainly for hunting elk and mule deer in northern Utah (mostly dark timber terrain or a mix of conifer/deciduous forest with open meadows interspersed). Would the shorter 24" barrel be a hindrance for someone wanting to reach out 150-200 yards [or beyond]? The Optima I believe is 26" and Accura starts at 27". There doesn't seem to be much info out there on the Strike. Thanks.

My boss has one and loves it. He sighted it in at the house last year and it was a good shooter. I would give it a close look at it if I ever got rid of my 700ML.

I don't know as I don't hunt in either of those states. I plan on using it in UT for now. Good question though since it is a striker-fired ignition system.

I have a strike and really like the feel of it and it shoots well. One big issue with it is that it is very difficult to get my cheek weld low enough to see the iron sights. I can still shoot it, but not with my normal form. If your state requires you to use iron sights it could be a problem. I have also heard that you have to be careful about the scope mount too depending on the eye relief of the scope, but I haven’t tried to mount one yet. If you need to use conical bullets, some say the muzzle design of TC rifles make them less accurate for conicals. I have only used saboted bullets and blackhorn 209 and that combo is very accurate. If i were to do it again I would look at a Triumph Bone collector or offerings from cva.

i have a TC Strike and really like it. My load is 3, 777 50 gr. pellets behind a TC 250gr, in a mag sabot. it'll shoot 1" groups at 150 yards. I didn't have great accuracy with using 2 50gr. 777 pellets. The one thing i haven't tried is using Blackhorn powder, it is a very scarce item to find in my area, but I am told it is the preferred powder for use in the TC Strike. It handles well, balance is sweet, and being kind of on the short side makes it very maneuverable in tight woods.

Back