Broken Horn Oryx Rhoades Canyon Any Advice

HoneyDo

Open to any and all advice re Rhoades Canyon Broken Horn Hunt Nov 9-11, 2018.
Hunted a bunch but never on missile range property. Searched far and wide on internet and have read the limited info available
Would appreciate any information. Where should I post this

You will attend a mandatory briefing that eats up a chunk of first day. You do not get to use the later part of Day 2 so the hunt goes quick.

You can bring 2 or 3 friends but have to send in paperwork for them to be vetted. More eyes to glass is great, especially as can be a road hunt where the driver is not able to glass as drive along the roads.

Be prepared for taking shots towards the limit of your comfort range. Keep shooting until the critter is on ground. You do not want to track these animals when have limited time for the entire hunt.

If can, bring a step ladder so can get a vantage point to better see over the sage. Those are really big critters with a kill zone that is not where you would shoot an elk. Use the markings on the oryx to know where to place the bullet. Bring a big cooler and, if prefer, usually just outside the military entrance will be a processor that can be hired to skin, ice, etc.

Good luck on your hunt and obey the traffic speed and rules re cameras.

My brother in law got one about two years ago. I didn't go, but he was surprised about how easy it was. He literally got one less than a 100 yards off the road. He used a 300 win mag (which is a cartridge my family loves for some reason). First shot was in guts. He tracked it to a nearby clump of bushes. He thought for certain it was not in there. He got within 10 feet before it jumped up and took off again. He shot it that time properly and the animal fell.

The meat is excellent. Fairly lean, but delicious and nearly identical to beef.

Sad news was he took the head to a taxidermist in Alamogordo. My father in law paid half up front to get the head mounted. However, as time went on, the taxidermist stopped talking to him. Recently, he filed lawsuit against the guy. He will probably get his money back in court, but the trophy is most likely lost.

Broken Horn success thanks to three friends who helped spot, stalk, quarter and carry out about a mile to truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back