PEAX Equipment

Vermont Moose major tag reduction

okie archer

I know Vermont isn't in the west but still a place with a Moose season in the lower 48. Well it was a state with a Moose season but after last weeks state game and fish meeting things have seriously changed. Tags have been reduced to 13 from 80 in 2017 and 160 in 2016. There will be no lottery this year. The 13 tags are broke down into three groups. Five go to veterans five will be auctioned, and three go to people with life threatening disease. The point holders will have their points frozen until there is a drawing again, if there ever will be. Winter ticks have really taken a toll on the Moose. The number of Moose in the state have gone from around 5000 a few years ago to about 1600. This is discouraging for several reasons. Vermont is a state with no age requirement to start purchasing points. I started when my son was two years old. He's now 5 and I was planning on purchasing his fourth point this year but that has now changed.

This is a major development in moose populations. I had already dropped out of the lottery, but I dont see there being a moose hunt much longer there.

Sad I've been watching those moose numbers drop like crazy. I was wondering if they could do some aerial spraying to try to kill some of those things or something. Maine is going to pot quickly also with numbers I haven't looked at it this year yet.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back