Bowhunting with ghillie for speed goats

MNbowhntr_Mark

This may be a dumb idea but I’m wondering if it’s possible to bowhunt pronghorns in a ghillie suit to stalk closer. The area I’ve been hunting has no trees or bushes and short grass. In other words, no cover except a few rolling hills.

The obvious issues I am thinking is 1. the bow arm material of the suit getting in the way. 2. The extra weight of the suit. 3. The HEAT!

Anybody ever hunted in a ghillie or have other suggestions?

Lots of people (including Randy) will carry cutouts to try to get closer. Check out http://bethedecoy.com/ - you can get a pretty darn stylish hat from them. I'm thinking of getting one for bar hopping and fishing purposes.

I'd tell you that movement would be your first issue, but the heat will be a very close second. I think you'll drop it after your first stalk.

Lots of people (including Randy) will carry cutouts to try to get closer. Check out http://bethedecoy.com/ - you can get a pretty darn stylish hat from them. I'm thinking of getting one for bar hopping and fishing purposes.

I plan on doing an archery hunt and this was the first decoy I looked at after watching Randy's videos. No experience with the bethedecoy hat, but it looks like one of the ways to get it done. A Ghillie Suit during August in my area is too hot even just sitting still. I couldn't imagine stalking in it.

I plan on doing an archery hunt and this was the first decoy I looked at after watching Randy's videos. No experience with the bethedecoy hat, but it looks like one of the ways to get it done. A Ghillie Suit during August in my area is too hot even just sitting still. I couldn't imagine stalking in it.

I have one of the Montana decoy pop ups. It works well when the antelope are rutting but otherwise just scares them away.

I've used the Montana decoy on a NM archery hunt and it worked....OK. I didn't scare them off but it didn't really help me get in much closer than 75ish yards. i think as others have said if you wait for rut action a decoy is more useful. i don't think they can hurt tho during non rutting periods but most people don't use them in a natural way and then they do scare off. I've seen guys have more luck with beef cow decoys too.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back