Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Nemo Hornet 2P tent

dididraw

I'm going to do a backpack hunting trip in mid Sept and need a new tent. I'd really like to lighten my pack to give me more mobility on the hunt (steep, high country).

I've done a bit of online research and found the Nemo Hornet 2P tent. It fits the bill for size for one person and gear and for weight (shy of 3 pounds).

What is your experience with this and other lightweight tents holding up to winds and possibly some early season snow? I don't expect this to be a tent I'd use later in the season when serious snow is possible.

Thanks for your advice.

I have heard really good things about Nemo stuff, but don't have any first hand experience. Regarding wind, guy lining out your tent and putting it in a smart spot makes a huge difference.

I was looking for a new tent this year as well. I have narrowed down my search to either the tarptent stratospire one or two. If your carrying trekking poles this tent might work for you. It's called a three season's tent but reviews have it holding up really well in bad weather. My tent last year collapsed on my head three times in Sept from snow. No more flimsy tents for me.

Renewing this thread to see if anyone has actually used this tent in the past year. Looks like dididraw hasn't been here for some time, but wondering if anyone else has some firsthand experience?

The Hornet is on sale right now for $269. The reviews are solid, especially regarding the weight factor, however there are several who had some moisture issues. Want to get a Hilleberg eventually, but I only need this for hunts through October anyway.

I will be testing mine this weekend on a MTN Goat scouting trip. I have had it setup, and the one drawback I see is that there isn't much room under the vestibules for storing gear overnight. I think this is pretty common for ultralight 2p tent though.

More to follow.

I will be testing mine this weekend on a MTN Goat scouting trip. I have had it setup, and the one drawback I see is that there isn't much room under the vestibules for storing gear overnight. I think this is pretty common for ultralight 2p tent though.

More to follow.

Sweet, and congrats on the goat tag! What state? Helped my buddy with his Utah goat and it was such a cool hunt.

Looking forward to the review.

I have the Kuiu mountain star 2P. It is luxury for one person. I might stay in the tent with my wife but wouldn't think about sleeping in the tent on a hunt with another sticky dude. I've got probably 6-10 nights in the tent and it does really good. Plenty of space and holding up fine. Comes in at a little over 3 pounds all in.

I am looking at the z packs duplex tent too. It is a ton lighter but doesn't look quite as sturdy and you can use your trekking poles for added weight savings. I think that tent comes in at 29 ounces and the dollar per ounce will get your attention.

The whole hammock thing looks interesting too but I'm not quite there yet.

Hope that helps.

I’m also looking at the Nemo hornet 2p. The model that is 269 is the 2018 model. Lower tub floor and some different color schemes from 2018 to 2019. And the 2019 has an attachment that is meant to increase head space. Then there is the new Nemo first lite collaboration recurve at 1 lb 5 oz for a 2p tent... plus the color schemes are much more my style... only problem is there is about 100$ difference between each of these models. I think either way your purchasing a quality option

Just had my Nemo hornet 2p leave me soaked and cold. Over the course of a 48hr storm it slowly became saturated to the point that it was basically raining inside. Up to now I would've recommended the tent but that was the first big storm and it caused me to cut a trip short. Makes me wonder if ultra light is just to light?

Just had my Nemo hornet 2p leave me soaked and cold. Over the course of a 48hr storm it slowly became saturated to the point that it was basically raining inside. Up to now I would've recommended the tent but that was the first big storm and it caused me to cut a trip short. Makes me wonder if ultra light is just to light?

Was that the pre-2019 version?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back