First time elk hunt, North of Steamboat Springs, CO GMU 14 Advice.

BLAZINGTRAILS

Hey ya'll,

This will be my first ever elk hunt. I will hopefully be hunting first rifle and am looking for any tips that a first timer would need to know. I'm a young guy so hiking won't be a problem. Any specific advice about the unit would be great too (i.e. where not to go). I've done a lot of research about the unit such as draw odds and harvest stats. I've also done a good bit of e-scouting and plan to get out hiking this summer to check out some potential glassing spots. Not asking for honey holes (unless you want to tell me) just asking for advice. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your hunt and let us know how it goes. Greenhorn, you sure that is only #4? I figured we were up to eight or nine by now.

Last edited:
You'll have a great time. My biggest advice would be this: Your goal is to find elk. Unless I knew an area well, I'd be covering a lot of ground and I'd be up on good glassing locations at first/last light. Just find elk and don't stop until you do. In my experience that's probably more than half the battle. Ideally, you'd do a bunch of 'elk finding' before the season opens and be ready on opening day, as those elk will never be easier to find than on the first day. You'll also be better acclimated if you get there in time to do some scouting and that can be a pretty big deal in Colorado, where elevations are high.

I've hunted this area many times, with some success. I can tell you that it is a very heavily hunted unit. Not my first choice anymore.

I have hunted area 15 to the south of you. I have not hunted 14. In 15 the timber is heavy and the pressure is high. Make sure your in good elk country until last legal shooting light, then walk out in the dark. I see to many guys at the pickup as the last few minutes of daylight dwindle. Hunt hard never give up....good luck

I hunted it once ten years ago, found a place with elk and I saw no hunters nor any sign of hunters from that season, but access was a problem, one needs a tent. Not sure if it was a blessing to not connect with a cow considering the pack out. I was new to elk at the time. Could hear them, and bump them, but didn't know how to out think them. Look to the private message function here.

Back