Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Equipment: Upgrades, Replacements and New Additions??

TexAg09

In the same vein of the popular thread about "what worked and what didn't" I figured I'd see what everyone was looking to add to their normal set ups this year. I figured it might be fun to see what everyone was looking to add and why.

Maybe it's something really cool I didn't even know about. LOL! https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/f7015e88-027b-4c71-b9e8-f88a6d60e4b7

I'm looking to add the items below (some I'm still on the fence about) to my gear this year. Let me know your thoughts about it, or if you have plans to add some new gear this year as well.

Upgrade -
Spotting Scope and Tripod - Upgrading from my dad's that I borrowed last trip. Honestly my binos were just as good as his old scope.
Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60 Spotting Scope (already purchased) - http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-diamondback-20-60x60-straight-spotting-scope

SLIK Sprint Pro II GM Tripod with Ballhead (probably will buy soon) - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B002821...&colid=GF6ZNMSTQLG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Replacements -
My Danner High Ground boots killed my feet last trip. I don't think they are bad boots, but just not for me. I'm going with the Meindl Ultralight Hunters. I know there are a few who have expressed very poor reviews on here (mainly one guy), but they've done well in the Davis Mountain in Texas and I'll take them on my scouting trip in Aug. If I have doubts I'll swap them before the big trip. - https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-ULTRALIGHT-HUNTER/2498565.uts?slotId=2

New Additions -
We are planning on hiking in twice as far this year (8 miles), so I'm looking into trekking poles. I'm still on the fence, but I figured I might try a lower cost set before really putting some money into a set. These seem to have good reviews. - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MRQC...&colid=GF6ZNMSTQLG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Last trip we got separated when my buddy and I both shot mule deer on the same evening and had no way to communicate with each other. I showed at our planned rendezvous place, and he was nowhere to be found. I assumed I would hear his shot, but I was wrong. We eventually met back at camp a little after midnight. We're thinking about getting our HAM licenses and bringing portable HAM radios so we can keep in touch when we split up, but we need to do a lot more research at the moment. We're thinking about radios like these. - https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00MAUL...&colid=GF6ZNMSTQLG&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Definitely looking at a tripod setup as well.

Other new pieces of gear; Garmin Inreach (purely for the texting via satellite), SG Access bag so I can expand my amount of time in the field a bit, Nosler Etips for my .264, and Gruden's rain gear for an AK trip.

Vanguard spotter and tripod. Only 65mm but huge compared to the 50X25 Leupold I have now.

Cabela's packframe and bag. My wife bought it a couple years ago and doesn't use it so I took it over. Time is tight so I want to be able to carry stuff to stay afield overnight if needed.

Moving to carrying water in Nalgene bottles.

Trying to figure out an easy shelter. Looking at the different tarp systems.

Switching to phone. My Kyocera is bomb-proof and has a good GPS. It's time.

Going to use a truck sleeping system instead of setting up our full camp. Our time is really short this year, and we plan on hunting from the moment we get to our areas. Setting up a camp will just cost us too much time.

Interesting thread. Be fun to see what others are changing.

boots and poles, maybe raingear. Otherwise just waiting on a tag

As my earlier thread talked about I have made the following upgrades so far:

1) Went from the Alps Commander bag and frame to the Mystery Ranch Cabinet .....have started training with it and am very happy
2) went from a really cheap elastic bino thingy to the Mystery Ranch Quick Draw bino harness....like the fit and flexibility, will see for sure when using

These are the planned upgrades:

1) going from the Keen hikes I have been using the last couple of years to a set of Cabela's Miendls ( will depend on fit in person, probably perfekt extremes ) this is due to a combination of reviews and the warranty for piece of mind.
2)going to get a Kifaru gunbearer, seems like a brilliant solution
3) I sold my jeep due to lack of space and will be get a new-to-me hunting truck. 2 plus years without a truck were more than enough for me. :)

The only real "maybe" would be an upgrade on binos if the $$ is available.

.....almost forgot, I'm thinking about a vacuum sealer and any opinions on those would be welcomed!!

TexAg09,
Another option other than the HAM radio is the Garmin Inreach which provides satellite texting capabilities from anywhere.

For me, I added a Sitka Jetstream Jacket which I really like. We are also thinking of adding the Garmin Inreach.

Moved to a phone/gps with OnX rather than carrying both.

Gotta get the boots resoled. Wore them out the last few years.

Other than that, I think I'm ok.

I bought me a little Catch and Release gear, gloves, shirt and jacket/pant combo. It's a little warm here for it now, but is seems pretty nice.

Snooty shotguns???

I think this year we're just gonna shoot what we have. I've got a drilling I'm refinishing right now & the Sauer sidelock needs to be rejoined. After that, maybe a midgrade 12 or a prewar superposed but nothing fancy.

Other than a few new First Lite clothing items (hoody, soft-shell), I'm looking into a new Exo 3500. My old Osprey works, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. We'll see.

I bought Gunner46's Weatherby 7 mm mag and I plan to hunt with it this fall as much as I can. I promised him I'd get it back out in the field. if I end up having my shoulder surgery, though, I'm going to build an AR10 in .308 to hunt elk. I also need to kill something with my new PSE, if I can shoot a bow this fall.

My goodness. How could I forget the biggest piece of gear we picked up for the coming season?

She's 10 month old and coming along nicely in her training. Her name is Greta, but her call sign has quickly become Groot.

Thinking of picking up the Tenzing upland vest to go with her.

groot.jpg

My goodness. How could I forget the biggest piece of gear we picked up for the coming season?

She's 10 month old and coming along nicely in her training. Her name is Greta, but her call sign has quickly become Groot.

I am always a sucker for a working dog picture - thanks for sharing and have fun with her.

Thinking of picking up the Tenzing upland vest to go with her.

View attachment 82209

If we can get JLS to post his new little rascal we'll have co-winners of this thread. Good addition Ben.

i just picked up a Vortex Razor 22-48x65 spotter as an upgrade from a Nikon pro staff. I also got a Mystery Ranch Metcalf at the end of the year as an alternate/upgrade to my Icon pro 3200

93F99818-ACF5-47DE-812F-33ECE869DC65.jpg

You mean this guy? Can’t wait to pick him up Saturday.

Ben, take a hard look at the Wingworks vest. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Love the name!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back