Caribou Gear

Newfoundland Moose

jzeck2

My elk hunting buddies have decided to call it quits on our every other year Co. Elk hunt, mostly due to age. I'm one of the younger ones at 56. I am considering a moose hunt where I can actually hunt a moose instead of applying for tags, and one that I don't have to mortgage my house to pay for. Not into antler score as much as I would like to eat one. My research so far is pointing to Eastern Canada, in particular Newfoundland.

I realize that it's probably not going to be a self guided hunt and at my age I can still get to where the moose are but probably would need a lot of help getting a dead moose out. My hunting buddies that still hunt don't seem to have much interest in wanting to help haul out a moose either. Does anybody have any experience and thoughts on a possible Newfoundland or other more affordable ($5000 plus or minus) hunt? Perhaps there are areas that I am not considering?

A couple of years ago I talked to a newer smaller outfitter in NFL. The cost of the moose was I think $4200 and it included processing, and you could add a bear tag for $400. They also had a fly in camp that was more remote, but that cost was more. The outfitter was Victoria Lodge Outfitters. I decided not to go because I ended up buying my house.

Last edited:
Check out Ironbound outfitters we went 8 for 8 with them last year all nice moose saw tons of moose. I did a thread here check it out. No complaints and the meat is the best out there.

Cushman it was 5700 and processing was extra and tags. Made me think man I'm glad I went last year it looks like it went to 6900 this year wow that's a jump. Lots of good ones up there though. If you want a good hunt do a fly in for better moose. The atv type hunts are great also but moose are young bulls mostly with a chance at a nice one of your lucky. All high odds of taking one home man.

Ouch lol The place I called a few years ago was only like 4600. Holy inflation!

No doubt I was at my limit at 5700 saved three years or so for it really. I couldn't see myself ever paying this price. It's a great hunt but by newfie standards 5700 was on top of the pack price wise when we started searching. A guy can get a great hunt in that 4000-5000 range up there.

Ontario isn't too bad, many outfitters have rates for hunting on your own from a spike camp. You do need the outfitters though. Rates aren't scary either.

Consider Quebec

I went with my 62 year old dad at the time to Quebec fly in hunt for 2300 each. It is two guys to a tag. But for the best game meat that you get a ton of it is ok. We had a blast catching lots of walleye and pike and on third day shot one from boat. It went out from edge to swimming and we had to quick tie a rope to it when it expired. We rowed to an island and wish we had a wench. We went and got a tie down strap and moved it out of water a half an inch at a time. We worked all night quartering it and rowed it down lake to where the boats were kept for that lake and hung in tree. Shooting on the water helped for ease of transportation we were just not prepared. Next time small wench can of starter fluid and extra waders. I say all that to say be smart where you shoot one. With another person if you have handled an elk you will be fine if have use of boats. I would go again. Also looking at Ontario if plan way in advance can get a good deal.

I am heading up the NFL in Sept 2019 with Next Ridge Outfitters, This is a remote fly in camp, I did some research and was happen with the results

Am also heading to newfoundland last week of sept this year , should be rut in full swing. Going witn caribou valley outfitters. Fly in with helicopter 1 0n 1 guide

I have bow hunted NF several times for moose and bou. I will be back up again next year. you looking at 6-8k for fly in hunt with solid outfitter for moose. you can probably knock a grand or 1500 off that for drive in lodge, however you pay for it with added pressure and company

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back