wyoming point creep with increased tag prices?

bb1379

ive read it several places that people expect point creep to continue. last year was the last year of the "cheap" license before the price increased. i read then that everyone would likely dump their points before the price hike. now I'm reading the same after the hike. ive been applying for points for my dad and i for the last several years because of scheduling conflicts that have kept us from being able to hunt. up to now, we've been about .5-1pt behind where we want to hunt. maybe I'm just that stupid but i would think the majority of points would have been dumped prior to the this years increase.

Is that a question? Point creep is real but its antelope point creep aint nearly as bad as other tags. You can shot a booner lope on a leftover tag just got to work harder to find access, points for lope are all based on public land %. Why anyone would save points past 4/5 just blows my mind, i would rather hunt every or every other year. You want complain about point creep ask a nonres sheep hunter with 2 or 3 less than max points how does he feel about odds of not living long enough to ever get a hunt and he still buys points every year...crazy

Is that a question? Point creep is real but its antelope point creep aint nearly as bad as other tags. You can shot a booner lope on a leftover tag just got to work harder to find access, points for lope are all based on public land %. Why anyone would save points past 4/5 just blows my mind, i would rather hunt every or every other year. You want complain about point creep ask a nonres sheep hunter with 2 or 3 less than max points how does he feel about odds of not living long enough to ever get a hunt and he still buys points every year...crazy

We haven’t been able to go hunt so nothing wrong with getting points I figure.

ive read it several places that people expect point creep to continue. last year was the last year of the "cheap" license before the price increased. i read then that everyone would likely dump their points before the price hike. now I'm reading the same after the hike. ive been applying for points for my dad and i for the last several years because of scheduling conflicts that have kept us from being able to hunt. up to now, we've been about .5-1pt behind where we want to hunt. maybe I'm just that stupid but i would think the majority of points would have been dumped prior to the this years increase.

Not enough tags in the units with the great trophy reputations to quickly flush out all the high point non-resident elk and deer applicants. At some point even a max point holder will drop down to a lesser reputation unit in an attempt to have better than 10% odds to draw a tag. 10% odds implies takes 10 years for an applicant to pull a tag. I think the perception was max point types for elk and deer were "investing" and could pick the unit and year they wanted to hunt. Chickens came home to roost and not enough roosts. That will lead to pressure on lesser units as old guys want to get a hunt in while can still get around without a cane. Just had a guy 54 drop dead at work and he was a former Army Ranger. Investing in points is a gamble that sometimes pays off and sometimes does not.

All this talk about point creep on Wy antelope and my wife is sitting on 11 points and I'm sitting on 3 lol. We likely wont be able to make a hunt 'a go' this year due to some family trips, other tags up in Alberta and BC and a busy fall already. My hope is that we can do a big family trip next year if we don't end up just rolling the dice and seeing if we can fit it all in this year.

That being said, I really need to sit down and come up with a bit of an application strategy for other states where I should be building some antelope points. I truly love chasing them, and don't plan and 'building points' in Wyoming after we draw next time, hopefully will start doing hunts a bit more frequently as the kids get older down there.

Randy did too good of a job. :D

Everyone pushes WY pronghorn as an "intro to western hunting" and for good reason, but this is the consequence.

I'd love to do a pronghorn archery hunt up there, but $430 for the privilege ... yikes. You don't get that much meat off a pronghorn.

Why anyone would save points past 4/5 just blows my mind, i would rather hunt every or every other year.

I think it depends on what your goals are, I'm building points in WY not because of the size of the antelope but for the location. I want to do a red desert hunt and not have to worry about being crowded on the one chunk of open public land with 100 other guys, with point creep I expect this to take 8-9 points. I'm going to hunt pronghorn every year on leftover and second choice tags, but I'm saving up for a cool experience not a big buck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back