MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Tripods....Again

mtmuley

Need to upgrade my tripod for this Fall. Can't do the Outdoorsman or the like. Need one that is fairly lightweight that will hold a 65mm spotter, straight body. Sitting to standing height. Might be windy at times where I'm going. Thanks in advance. mtmuley

I run a Sirui ET-1204 and have been extremely impressed. I used to use a SLIK and have found the Sirui works better for me.

Have a model in mind? mtmuley

This is my personal opinion so take it for what it's worth. I would not get a tripod that can hold less than 8-11 lbs on the head and weighs less that 3 lbs if you want to use it in high winds. I personally bought the 190XDB(unavailable now) a few years ago and really like it.

Muley, look at a Slik 634CF with a Benro S2 panhead.

Best friend recently got a Sirui T-1205x that looks impressive. I now have an Outdoorsman and a Gitzo but those are tough on the pocketbook.

Last edited:
Muley, look at a Slik 634CF with a Benro S2 panhead.

Best friend recently got a Sirui T-1205x that looks impressive. I now have an Outdoorsman and a Gitzo but those are tough on the pocketbook.

I have a shorter slik that I have used for 5 years and I have been VERY impressed.

I have used a SLIK 624CF and hate it. The aluminum body the legs attach to is crap. If you fold out the legs the piece on the legs that slide up to lock in place will shave metal off the aluminum where the legs attach. I have had to order two of the replacement leg attachments.

Someone on here recommended the Slik Pro II to me for a less spendy option and I am a big fan. Can use it anywhere from the bench at the range to stading up comfortably (I am 6'4). Definitely recommend if you don't want to spend a fortune.

Wow, and here i thought i was splurging when i went to Sears and got theirs for $30. ( if i remember right, been a couple of years).
One for Beta Master chrono and 1 for spotter.

last year picked up sirui 1205x and benro S2 head, use with my 65 mm straight spotter. like the setup a lot. good price, lightweight and reasonably stable.

Last edited:
I use the promaster XC-325C and an outdoorsman mirco pan head and the lightweight combo has worked out great for me. I mostly use it for my 15s but also have out my 65mm spotter on it no problem. I usually sit when I am glassing but I have used it standing with no problems. I got my tripod as a demo unit from camera land ny for 140 bucks but I just checked and they dont have any more demo units left.

I have used a SLIK 624CF and hate it. The aluminum body the legs attach to is crap. If you fold out the legs the piece on the legs that slide up to lock in place will shave metal off the aluminum where the legs attach. I have had to order two of the replacement leg attachments.

Interesting. You should post some pictures. I would love to see what is happening. I haven't had any problems with mine.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back