Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Archery or Rifle?

awbowhunter

So here's the question.

On a Montana general tag, with 3 straight weeks to hunt. If you had to pick one, which would you do and why. Archery or Rifle?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts and reasoning.

Figure out if the area you have in mind is very dependent on weather to effect the migration. Also if it is mostly private or public. What will you have for vehicle and camp gear? You should decide if you want to bow hunt or rifle hunt since there is a week between the two seasons. Depending on the area early or late season can be a huge difference in numbers.

Dan

You said if I had to pick.....it'd be archery without a doubt! Why.... because I love it! It's an unbelievable experience & privilege, imo.
But whether it's bow or rifle, you'll be hunting elk, life will be good!
Good luck!

personally, archery, last 3 weeks of September. Weather tends to be nice, and, well, bugling bulls are like nothing else in this world. That said, you need to be ready to act fast, be it change area, tactic, and most importantly, warm weather means you have to get meat out ASAP, not just for spoilage, but for bears packing on the last calories of the year. If you are into spending lots of time behind the glass and covering a lot of ground, rifle can be quite fun. they really are two completely different hunts if you are after a good bull, the methods are night and day different, same with weather.

Archery for me no question. Every year, at least in this area of SW MT, I see LOTS more elk during archery season than during rifle season. Plus, September in Montana is awesome!
Actually, every month in Montana is awesome.

I already have the last 3 full weeks of September off and with travel time it will allow about 18 days of hunting. The reason I asked the question is I have had multiple people question why I would not go rifle season when I would have better odds. They have me second guessing my plans. This will be my first elk hunt so there will be a learning curve for sure. But I much rather experience the rut and bugling even if I am not successful. I think I have answered my own question...lol but wanted some other opinions.

I already have the last 3 full weeks of September off and with travel time it will allow about 18 days of hunting. The reason I asked the question is I have had multiple people question why I would not go rifle season when I would have better odds. They have me second guessing my plans. This will be my first elk hunt so there will be a learning curve for sure. But I much rather experience the rut and bugling even if I am not successful. I think I have answered my own question...lol but wanted some other opinions.

I would believe your friends or other people :D

As this is your 1st hunt in the area, I'd go with a rifle hunt. You don't know the area, the game's habit's, nor anything else for that matter. Up your odds, if & when you are provided an opportunity.

Next time, you'll have a firmer understanding of what all is entailed and then pose the same question to yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back