380-20 mt

CBender09

So, I guess I’m one of the lucky ones to draw this year.
I’ve seen a few other posts from a few years ago to now, and it looks like there are a lot of tips to be had, advice, etc. Great to see.

My first question would be to guys who have had it before, what are the best times to go? If you were to pick 2 weekends in September, which ones? I wish I was fortunate enough to take 6 weeks off and go at it...but I have bills to pay and limited paid-time-off from work (right now, looks like 5-7 days).

I have some knowledge of the area....was also lucky enough to draw a sheep tag over there 10 or so years ago before they all died, and saw a handful of good bulls during that hunt.
I plan on starting scouting ASAP, since it’s only 1-1.5 hours away, that will make scouting and quick evening hunts possible.

Plan on hitting it as hard as possible during archery season. I hear that’s the best bet, and all I really use to go after elk anyways.

Can’t wait...I can hear them already

Last edited:
You guys are too much. Welcome aboard. I'll shoot ya a pm later after a few old mills, so I'm not sure how accurate it'll be but it will be somewhat close.

You live 1 hour away and only have 2 weekends to put towards this hunt? Ouch.

no. I worded that kinda weird. I just plan my days off work around weekends, so i get 5-6 days in a row, but only take off 3, and do that for 2 weekends (10 days total or so). And then definitely Friday afternoon-Sunday every other weekend through the season

Regarding asking for "good areas"... This would be similar to walking up to a girl and asking for sex. Not the best plan. This group likes to go on a date first before giving up the goods. Just some thoughts.

That being said I'd choose Sept 8-16 due to moon phases. Either that or the week following.

You have a great opportunity being so close to the unit. Your best chance of being successful is narrowing down 3-4 areas and doing several scouting trips this summer looking for signs whether old or new. Run a few trail cameras if possible.

Regarding asking for "good areas"... This would be similar to walking up to a girl and asking for sex. Not the best plan. This group likes to go on a date first before giving up the goods. Just some thoughts.

That being said I'd choose Sept 8-16 due to moon phases. Either that or the week following.

You have a great opportunity being so close to the unit. Your best chance of being successful is narrowing down 3-4 areas and doing several scouting trips this summer looking for signs whether old or new. Run a few trail cameras if possible.

Definitely not looking for anyone to point at a map and say go here. I’ll keep editing the OP. A lot has was worded a bit poorly due to excitement. I’ll have plenty of scouting opportunities, so I’m sure I’ll find my own spots

380-20 is wonderful tag. As a hunter, it is quite frankly a life changer. I was blessed with being part of taking 3 bulls from this district. In 2011 I ended up taking one during rifle, but hunted for 15 days in bow season. In 2016, I had a two friends that drew the bull tag as a party. We ended up getting two nice bulls in bow season.
If I could recommend one thing it would be to prepare yourself for a bivy hunt, (3-5) days worth preferred. I know it is a great tag but the dream of 360 plus class bulls will take work, unless you can get access to private land. Different from most districts the cow to bull ratio is more balanced. You will find that some cows in heat can have as many 6 bulls pining for their attention. I believe this drives the elk into high elevation, into the rocks and open areas where they feel more comfortable in keeping track of their cows. I sent you a private message. I would be happy to point out some areas to concentrate.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back