MT 380-20 Tag

Thinking of upgrading some optics for this hunt, anyone have recommendations on a spotting scope or binoculars you can look through for weeks without going cross eyed? Price is not an issue, usability is the goal. I have some decent 10x42 nikons and a vortex spotter, both are pretty good, but not what I want to look through for 4 months.

Thinking of upgrading some optics for this hunt, anyone have recommendations on a spotting scope or binoculars you can look through for weeks without going cross eyed? Price is not an issue, usability is the goal. I have some decent 10x42 nikons and a vortex spotter, both are pretty good, but not what I want to look through for 4 months.

Don't take much looking around to figure out Swarovski is what you need. Especially if cost is no issue. mtmuley

Thanks, I figured it would be a German glass, just have not had my hands on any of the top glass in 18 years when I guided in NV and got to play with the dudes glass.(long story on guide time, computer geek burnt after y2k push said I am done with this for a few years)

Next question, any where local I can go lay my hands on some of the good stuff, its only two hours to Billings or Missoula for me, just over an hour to Helena, if I can't find someone local ie Bozo who carries it? I am all about finding a deal online, but would like to put glass to eye before I dump the money.

Pretty sure sportsmans, bob wards, and schnees/powder horn all sell the latest and greatest swarovski stuff in bozeman. This town is nearly the point of the spear for hunting gear.

I can assure you theres no need to test drive the swaros, they are the best. You can get some good prices online and buying them used isn't a bad way to go either.

Guess I will have to break down and actually go to Bozeman this weekend, can't stand the crowds, usually only go to town once a month at most.

My bad on Germany, Austria is at least close!

Had a nice glass of scotch this weekend, steeled my nerves, and went into Bozo, the Swaro EL's are everything they have been talked up too. Interestingly, Sportsman's is not going to carry the Leica, ughh, just forgot the line, but they are on sale for 1700 instead of 2200. i took both outside and glassed up the Bridger's, in good light I really can't tell the difference. I suspect the Swaro will out perform in lower light. Anyones opinion on Leica? these were both 10x42

Just did some looking online, i am pretty certain the Leica model on sale is the Leica Ultravid 10x42 HD Plus

Last edited:
Had a nice glass of scotch this weekend, steeled my nerves, and went into Bozo, the Swaro EL's are everything they have been talked up too. Interestingly, Sportsman's is not going to carry the Leica, ughh, just forgot the line, but they are on sale for 1700 instead of 2200. i took both outside and glassed up the Bridger's, in good light I really can't tell the difference. I suspect the Swaro will out perform in lower light. Anyones opinion on Leica? these were both 10x42

Just did some looking online, i am pretty certain the Leica model on sale is the Leica Ultravid 10x42 HD Plus
I compared the 10x42 Leica Ultravid HD+ and the Zeiss Victory HT this winter. My daily driver for the last 7 years or so is the 8x42 Swaro SLC HD. I have looked through the 10x42 EL SV but not concurrently with these. The Leica and Zeiss were close for me, the Zeiss HT a little sharper, the colors on the Leica a little warmer (which I prefer). I can't do the EL's, I get rolling ball to the max when panning--shame because otherwise they are amazing. I shipped them back and stuck with my trusty SLC HD's. Best combo of color and performance for my eyes. All else being equal I'm still a little shy about trusting Leica's warranty...maybe getting them from Sportsman's would give you a third party to run it through at least. My two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Snowy, that's great information. All of that said, think i should take a few more models out for a test drive in the parking lot, didn't realize there were so many finer variables to high end glass that one person may see different than another. The Leica warranty concern caught me a bit off guard, wouldn't think warranty would be an issue with high end gear, more to contemplate.....

Thanks Southern, that's a pretty good deal, even the SLC model that Snowy prefers currently.

Hopefully the actual elk hunt turns out to be less difficult than getting new glass.......

Thanks Snowy, that's great information. All of that said, think i should take a few more models out for a test drive in the parking lot, didn't realize there were so many finer variables to high end glass that one person may see different than another. The Leica warranty concern caught me a bit off guard, wouldn't think warranty would be an issue with high end gear, more to contemplate.....

Thanks Southern, that's a pretty good deal, even the SLC model that Snowy prefers currently.

Hopefully the actual elk hunt turns out to be less difficult than getting new glass.......
Probably decent glass for the money, but I should note the one's in the classfied's are the SLC model prior to my SLC HD's. They've since been rebranded and the current 2018 version is called the SLC WB (but still has HD glass). They make it so complicated.
Re: Leica's warranty, google it up on some forums and you'll see what I mean. It doesn't stop me from using their rangefinder, cause I like it a lot, but it's worth being aware of.

Thanks for clarifying all of the different models, think i will pursue new glass at this point. Hoping to make it to town one evening this week again and take a look at the glass with lower light conditions.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back