Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

MT 380-20 Tag

I wouldn't be above looking into boarding Team Meathead for a few days if I was in your position. I'm sure they will enjoy some days out in the field - but....

they will be helping with the scouting in august, shouldn't be too bad with living behind the glass most of the time, but will need to go elsewhere once I start hiking into areas a little closer.

Agreed on the boarding come hunting season, I have the puff ball lined up to go on an extended visit to the mother inlaw come September, and tentatively the same destination for the schnauzer if he doesn't make her completely insane. The griffon will be with me quite a bit, he is almost two now and turning into a good dog. I have a half dozen people that will be randomly in camp for this hunt, and seems like one of my geezer friends has a bad knee, back, ankle, or hangover any given day to keep him occupied with grouse around camp... At least i hope at least that will be the case for early archery, first two weeks. wife should be back for the last two weeks of September, and I have the 14th - 30th off, so it should be game on.

Those bulls are where you find them, meaning that once you find them - they don't really stray to far. Stay persistent. I also don't think those that live beyond the age of 10 got that way by bugling all the time. September I would head to the highest elevation, soon as that rut is done look to foothills along timber edges and just inside the timber. It doesn't take much of a wrinkle in the terrain and a few trees to hide a group of bulls.

Thanks for that information Bailey, hope it holds true on the one small group of bulls I have been watching the last 10 days, there is one i would like to meet personally come September 1.

Broke down and upgraded my camo today, don't think all my old camo together cost as much as one Sitka jacket, let alone pants and a few base layers. Hopefully it lives up to what is advertised. 41 days until bow season......

Spent Friday out scouting in 380, things are looking very good there, lots of lush meadow up high still, hiked into a string of high basins and meadows, looks to be about 10 miles round trip. A lot of elk up there right now, managed to watch 2 groups from afar, 3 good bulls in one of the groups, those three should all be 340 or better i think, time will tell in a few weeks. Second group did not have anything beyond rag horns the best i could tell, they filtered into the trees about 30 minutes after i saw them. Third group was not as designed, but elk being elk, they were laying on a small bench i was crossing to get to the last spot i wanted to glass from, chaos at 20 yards for 30 seconds or so, wind swirled and they ran right by me on both sides, there were at least 2 bulls of size, but did not get a good look at them.

Have a few more similar locations to check out over the coming weeks, only 32 days until I have to have a decision on where my bow needs to be September 1, the countdown is officially on.

Can't wait to follow your hunt along your gonna have a great time. Good luck hard to believe Sept is so close already.

Thanks bear and killer.

Didn't do any scouting with the 100 degree heat this past weekend. I did get all of the trucks, four wheeler, and trailers inspected and PM'd, don't want to be wasting any hunting time on broken equipment. Need to get shoes on the three geldings next, i don't do that as fast as i used to, two feet a night is about the limit.

what a difference two weeks makes, snow at 7500 feet today... I am rutting out at my desk, 5 days and counting, a few were already talking Saturday, this may be my longest week at work in the history of ever.

Special Weather Statement
Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Great Falls MT
318 AM MDT Mon Aug 27 2018

MTZ008-015-052-053-055-271430-
Beaverhead-Madison-Jefferson-Broadwater-Gallatin-
Including the cities of Dewey, Wisdom, Wise River, Harrison,
Pony, Waterloo, Cameron, Ennis, Jeffers, McAllister,
Montana City, Clancy, Boulder, Corbin, Wickes, Whitehall, Toston,
Townsend, Winston, Bozeman, and Gallatin Gateway
318 AM MDT Mon Aug 27 2018

...Accumulating Snow Expected Today through Tonight for
Mountainous Areas of Southwest Montana...

A potent storm system will continue to affect the Northern
Rockies today through tonight. Snow levels are expected to
generally fall to around 7500 feet across Southwest Montana.
Precipitation above 7500 feet is generally expected to be in the
form of light to at times moderate snow, however, some periods of
rain mixing in with the snow is possible during the daylight
hours today. Snowfall accumulations of one to two inches is
possible between 7500 and 8500 feet across Southwest Montana,
with up to six inches possible above 8500 feet. Those working
or recreating in the mountains should be prepared for cold, wet,
and adverse conditions.

Right there with you! I have been watching the weather for the last 2 weeks to see what the opener would be like. Cool nights and comfortable days is just the ticket. Good luck up there!

I'm anxiously awaiting the continuation of you story. I can't wait for Saturday to get here--can't come fast enough.

Congrats on your tag!

Thanks Widnert, 444. weather is still looking perfect, bulls are talking up there, gear checked and rechecked 4000 times, two sleeps until game on!

With everyone’s apps in for 2019 - would love to hear how this went? Any stories??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back