Caribou Gear Tarp

how many points did it take, Mt?

dmandoes

how many preference points did it take u to draw Mt big game combo, elk combo, deer combo? i had 0 points and drew big game combo.

if 75% of the tags go to applicants with preference points , how is it possible for guys with points not drawing? it seems to me there most be a lot of guys that apply with points and the guys without points got lucky?

if 75% of the tags go to applicants with preference points , how is it possible for guys with points not drawing? it seems to me there most be a lot of guys that apply with points and the guys without points got lucky?

Guys without points got very luck cuz I know a lot with no points that got denied . I technically had 2 pref points cuz I bought one last summer and one at time of app . Just to be safe .

It's impossible with someone to draw a combo tag with 0 if someone did not draw with 1, that is the whole idea of preference points. Example: Everyone with 2pts draws, everyone with 1pt draws only x number of people with 0 points draw. If someone had 1 point and didn't draw then likely it was because they didn't draw the permit and ask for a refund if they didn't draw, or they had a mistake on their application and it got tossed. (Third option is that MFWP screwed up and that is definitely possible, my bonus points weren't awarded last year and my myfwp account wasn't corrected until January of this year.)

It's impossible with someone to draw a combo tag with 0 if someone did not draw with 1, that is the whole idea of preference points. Example: Everyone with 2pts draws, everyone with 1pt draws only x number of people with 0 points draw. If someone had 1 point and didn't draw then likely it was because they didn't draw the permit and ask for a refund if they didn't draw, or they had a mistake on their application and it got tossed. (Third option is that MFWP screwed up and that is definitely possible, my bonus points weren't awarded last year and my myfwp account wasn't corrected until January of this year.)

Your wrong . 75% of the tags go to guys with points - other 25% to guys with no points

Your wrong . 75% of the tags go to guys with points - other 25% to guys with no points

So yes depending on how many guys applied with points there very possibly coulda been someone with 1 point that didn't draw and someone with 0 did

Depending on the ratio of point holders to non point holders you could technically have better odds without a point... which is screwy

Does Montana cap NR tags? That would kind of make sense for people with 1 or 0 points to not draw in our pool.

There are 17,000 big game combos if that's what you mean Cushman?

Given the split if there were 18,000 applications and 15000 had points and 3000 had 0 points than 100% of people with 0 points would draw and 17% of people with points wouldn't...

You mention preference and bonus points in the same post, Montana is a bonus state correct?

You mention preference and bonus points in the same post, Montana is a bonus state correct?

The NR Big Game combo tags are preference point based, and apparently now have a 75/25 split. The special permits deer/elk/lope etc are bonus points.

I'm just glad I can buy deer/elk OTC.

Montana uses both systems for your Elk license they use preference points, for your permit (which lets you hunt a specific unit) they use bonus points.

Its a really weird way of doing it, I don't know of another state that does it that way. Also because of the way they have things set up you can't apply for a big game combo and a deer permit and an elk permit and then request a refund if you don't draw either the elk or deer permit. Basically it's not possible to say I only want to hunt if I get to hunt elk in unit 410 or deer in 270 and since neither of those units are draw for the other species I want the combo so I get both tags if I do draw either permit. Granted this probably doesn't happen that much, but I think it's dumb to create a system that people can break, I broke the system last year by trying to do the above (although not with those units).

In my case I drew the combo, didn't draw the elk permit but then they issued me a refund which meant I couldn't but put in for the deer application. I got a refund for both and a point for elk but not deer, even though I paid for a point, because technically my application was never entered in the drawing. I got my point back but they still haven't fixed this issue.

Last edited:
My all the confusion lol! MT please simplify things. I drew big game combo with 0. Guess I was a lucky one. I'm betting next year numbers are down after this winter.

My all the confusion lol! MT please simplify things. I drew big game combo with 0. Guess I was a lucky one. I'm betting next year numbers are down after this winter.

yup I think the novelty is going to wear off . Think a lot of NR are getting tired of not being able to draw permits . When I started applying for permits the HD I apply was very drawable for NR with 2-3 points now I have 7 but that's the way she goes . I'll draw some day .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back