Hunting Boots vs. Hking Boots

Stagg412

My friends and I drew our combo tags in MT, so I guess it's time to really get serious about some important purchases. The first of which is boots. I know weight is a huge consideration, and we're planning on putting on the miles. You folks with more experience out West (of which I have zero), do you think it's better to stick with hunting style boots or are hiking boots a better bet when there's going to be a lot of walking?

My main concerns besides weight of the boot itself is how the boot will handle under the weight of a pack w/ meat and ankle support.

I'm not looking for discussion over which brand is better, but which style of boot you think would be better suited for an active Oct. rifle hunt in SW MT. My head is already swimming with brands.

Thanks!

The backpackers (and some are carrying heavy loads) seem to stick with the ankle high boots. I think this is because they are almost exclusively on trails. My hikers are Lowa Renegades, for example. I wear a pair of 8" or 10" Cabelas Meindl's for hunting, which I justify by their protecting my legs from brush and stobs on logs.

Both of these seem to fit my feet - others have good luck with a variety of brands. When I bought boots, I took them to work and spent lunch hour walking around on carpet to keep them clean before I returned those that did not work.

I own and use both. On a pronghorn hunt or turkey hunt I'm taking the hiking boots, for elk or mule deer I'm bringing the hunting boots. My main consideration are amount of side hilling on steep terrain I will be doing, will I be walking through snow, wet grass, or dealing with lots of streams, and how heavy of a pack will I be carrying.

That being said you can definitely get away with hiking boots especially if you get something that is full leather like the Vasque St. Elias, something like the vasque breeze wouldn't be the best. Biggest thing is to get a boot that fits well with zero heel slip.

The backpackers (and some are carrying heavy loads) seem to stick with the ankle high boots. I think this is because they are almost exclusively on trails. My hikers are Lowa Renegades, for example. I wear a pair of 8" or 10" Cabelas Meindl's for hunting, which I justify by their protecting my legs from brush and stobs on logs.

The Meindls are real high on my list of boots to try out. Good advice about the carpet. I hear REI has a crazy forgiving return policy on footwear.

The Meindls are real high on my list of boots to try out. Good advice about the carpet. I hear REI has a crazy forgiving return policy on footwear.

Be aware that the Meindl Ultralights will feel great in the store but will suck in the field. Meindl Perfekts and Denalis are great boots however.

I wear trekking/backpacking style boots for everything.

For archery - ultralight tactical waterproof boot.
I have regular hunting boots, waterproof - thicker for colder temps.

My opinion-

The further I am from civilization, hiking/hunting traffic, or hunting solo the more I lean towards a sturdy boot. Its just hell to turn an ankle etc. when help is a long way off.

I use hunitng boots with good angle support only. Cabela's Meindl Denalis. Have been great so far.

Backpacking style boots for everything. Don't worry about the weight of the boots, it makes them more stable when loaded down.

I have both, but if I had to choose one for an October elk hunt I would go with uninsulated, goretex hikers. Mine are Lowa rangers. Especially with the shorter boots make sure you have some gaiters in case of wet/snowy weather.

Depending on time of year and temperature, I use both. If it is above 25 degrees, I will use my uninsulated Asolo backpacking boots. They are very sturdy and offer great ankle support under a heavy load. When the temperatures drop, I switch to Kenetrek Mountain Extremes with 400 g of insulation. Just be aware that any quality backpacking boot that fits your feet well should be more than adequate when carrying a heavy pack of meat. However, this isn’t true for all “hunting boots.” I guess what I am saying is most all backpacking boots will serve as a good hunting boot, by not all hunting boots are good backpacking boots.

I have a whole closet full of different kinds of boots and decide which ones to wear depending on the specifics of the hunt....season, weather, terrain, species. The nastier it will be, the taller and sturdier the boots. I don't even consider the weight because if the weight of the boots is what will make or break me, I didn't train enough. Plus having hiked out of steep nastiness once after spraining my ankle badly, a little extra weight in a good boot is cheap insurance.

I will skate by in hikers for an early antelope hunt. I wouldn't choose those for elk but everyone is different.

Last edited:
I wear heavier boots than most folks. I like leather too. Wore old Danner work boots & Redwings. Lowas since 1967for packing. Cabellas Mtn hiker from Vasque have held up well for trail walking. Meindel Ibex just finally wore out & they stopped making them.
Lowa Tibet insl. for 2 yrs now,love them. They are warm above freezing,but I wear them hunting for stability from Sept.-Apr.
Been trying sneaker style stuff for everyday & hiking & all have been disappointing. The low tops kill my achilles when I tie them tight enough to keep stuff out,& everything here in NM will go right thru them.
I just got some Lowa Caminos ordered.1/3 price. My draw refund met my bday...lol

Last edited:
Last year I bought and broke in my 1st pair of Kenetrek Mtn Extreme (400g Thinsulate) in advance of my AZ late rifle (tag along hunt).

Absolutely zero doubt that in anything less stable / sturdy I wuld have certainly destroyed my ankles.

The unit I was in has rocks the size of footballs and unless I was tied up tight it would have ended badly.

These boots protect your feet more than you could imagine.

I would buy again.

Back