Caribou Gear Tarp

Question for the old timers

Muleys32

Had a question for the guys that have been around for a while. Right now you see all the hot brands and hunting items that sell for a premium and make high quality products. (First lite, Kuiu, Sitka, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, etc...). One would think that some of these companies would either phase out or become not such a hot item anymore, even if it is 20-30 years from now. What I am curious about is what were the hot items that guys paid big bucks for if you go back to the 60's, 70's and 80's? Are any of these companies still kicking? Do you still use any of these older products?

Plain ol' Gore Tex (over Poly-Pro) was Hot in the late 80's, early 90's. Yeah, I still got it, still use it, still works just fine. My old military stuff.

I have old Polypro Patagonia that is at least 20 yr old. It still works. Unfortunately, sometimes.

I have a once, very hot brand Ballard Pacific rifle that dates back to the late 1870s. It still works as well as the day it was made. Pretty amazing given the absolute necessity of a 6.5 Creed on a whoopti-do "platform" rifle with "premium" bullets, whatever they are. But Ballard went TU well before the turn of the century. Replaced by the ever much hotter lever guns like Marlin, of which I have a few that still function just like always. I'm not sure if Marlin is still alive or not. I think it is debatable. Same could be said for my Winchesters singles. Winchester itself is dead, but there are a couple of Phoenix Winchesters that have sprouted in recent years. Shotguns, that's a whole 'nuther can of worms. They all still work but the makers are all long gone.

I still have a wrap-around frame pack from the 1970s. Wrap around frames were a hot item once. Company is forgotten and long dead, but the pack still carries whole antelope just fine.

And some moth eaten wool army surplus pants work just fine too. But getting drafty with holes. The Army is still in business, but the wool pants, not so much.

Realtree Treebark camotrebark1980.jpg didn't have the money for anything gore tex. How could a whitetail even hope to see you sitting in a tree with your Bear Whitetail compound bow. Surprised they aren't extinct with all that technology we had going for us.

Blue jeans and red/ black plaid Mackinaw wool coat. Maybe pants to if you could afford them. Wrap your feet with newspapers and then plastic cause your boots leaked. Now them were the GOOD old days.

Woolrich pants in the 70's "Malone's" still have them and some from Columbia and Cabalas. Columbia wool shirt jacket and a zip up coat with a hood. Have Gore Tex Camo parka "Columbia". Hooded insulated water proof membrane camo jacket by Woolrich.These company's are still around.
See a pattern here ;)

Rifles I agree with BrentD but I prefer the !874 Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 2.1 or 45-100 2.6 with a 495 grain flat nose bullet. No matter the make or model a big 45 cal. lead bullet just flat works. Plus it's a bonus you get to cast your own with the alloy of your choice.

Dan

Woolrich pants in the 70's "Malone's" still have them and some from Columbia and Cabalas. Columbia wool shirt jacket and a zip up coat with a hood. Have Gore Tex Camo parka "Columbia". Hooded insulated water proof membrane camo jacket by Woolrich.These company's are still around.
See a pattern here ;)

Rifles I agree with BrentD but I prefer the !874 Shiloh Sharps in 45-70 2.1 or 45-100 2.6 with a 495 grain flat nose bullet. No matter the make or model a big 45 cal. lead bullet just flat works. Plus it's a bonus you get to cast your own with the alloy of your choice.

Dan

Wool pants, and 45 caliber rifles. Mine's not as pure as the single shot rifles though. It has two shots and uses super-light 350 grain bullets.

450 BPE.jpg

I was lucky and got poly pros and Gore Tex through the military. For a lot of years I wore my military camo pants for hunting purposes.

Still wear my Woolrich coat, Gander Mtn waterfowl parka(still leakproof),my dad & uncles wool shirts & sweaters, 20 yr old Patagonia pullover, surplus military wool pants from Finland must be 65 yrs old & solid still,bought the day Nixon resigned in Butte along with my Win 94 30-30 & a pair of Sorrel packs...lol,still use all of them.......my 40 yr old 700 -06.

Last edited:
Filson and Herters.Still have Filson Hat and Covercloth pants.Cost back then was 1/2 of it is now.
Haven,t heard the Woolrich name in years,but still remember Dad owning Woolrich jackets.
Have a few L.L.Bean jackets and shirts,too expensive to get all bloody and muddy.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back