Big Dreams on a College Budget

I killed a lot of stuff driving a Subaru Forester around. Thing went great in the snow since it was all wheel drive. Got Avg of 27MPG too.

I agree with a lot of the above statements. Save the money, use it to pay on your college loans, and hunt with the car. Be extra cautious and don't take unnecessary risks. Another word of caution, watch where you park and know what the forecast is. Last week I had my Chevy Cruz that I drive to work instead of my truck. I stopped at a place before work to call for turkeys. It started to snow, I had to hightail it out of the woods otherwise I would have been stuck in the driveway I parked in.

I prefer traveling in our Camry. Roof rack and a big carrier. Our rack came from Amazon for a couple hundred bucks, and the giant box for $50 off Craigslist. We put our tent and misc. stuff up top, valuables in the trunk, and coolers in the back seat.

If I could recommend any specific thing it would be real snow tires. I believe ours are Bridgestone Blizzaks. Night and day difference. They get around very good on ice and snow. No help with clearance, but oh well.

Can't pull horses or have a queen size mattress, but no reason to not use a car.

Last edited:
I used my front wheel drive RAV4 for 6 years of hunting all manner of species in Colorado before we got a truck, and I still use it unless I know I'll want 4x4. Holds a bit more than a civic, but I'd put that money towards hunting over dreaming any day!

In most cases, I think most people just like to have toys.

If I could recommend any specific thing it would be real snow tires.

I second this, I run snows year round... I definitely burn through them more quickly than some people but via tire rack I can usually get a set of four and have them mounted for under $300.

Roof racks/bars are a must, and I would argue there is no better way to transport a canoe than a roof rack on a sedan.

I've elk hunted out of a Subaru Impreza. If you can throw a mountain bike in you can go anywhere a 4x4 truck or side by side might go with a little effort. In most cases its only the last sections of road that get dicey, its not like you have to park 20 miles away.

Renting is pretty cost effective way to have a 4x4 truck. I would rather get 50 rental days out of $5,000 dollars than risking a 20 year old vehicle or one with high mileage. I rented trucks on 4 trips last year and the cost is usually ~$75 to $100/day. In college we drove from Missouri to Utah and found it cost effective for 4 of us to rent a Suburban instead of 4 people driving 2 vehicles like we had done the year before.

I second this, I run snows year round... I definitely burn through them more quickly than some people but via tire rack I can usually get a set of four and have them mounted for under $300.

Roof racks/bars are a must, and I would argue there is no better way to transport a canoe than a roof rack on a sedan.

I am definitely going to look into a rack and some snow tires. I can probably just use the snow tires when I need them. I have access to a rack so I could mount them whenever I am taking a trip.

I have been needing a way to carry a kayak too.

If you're dead set on a 4wd truck, don't bother with what follows. But, if it's a 4wd you'e after, consider a Subaru. The things are awesome in mud, snow, etc. and, even though they are unibody, there are after market lift spacers that can get you up to 4" lift in some cases, possibly more. Google them, you'll be surprised what you can get on a tight budget if you look around. I'm actually thinking of doing this myself.

If you're dead set on a 4wd truck, don't bother with what follows. But, if it's a 4wd you'e after, consider a Subaru. The things are awesome in mud, snow, etc. and, even though they are unibody, there are after market lift spacers that can get you up to 4" lift in some cases, possibly more. Google them, you'll be surprised what you can get on a tight budget if you look around. I'm actually thinking of doing this myself.

Last fall, during the general season, we had quite a bit of snow and most people were running chains on their rigs and as I was making my way to my normal hunting area, I pulled over to let a guy come by and here it was a Subaru Forester. I was pretty impressed he was up where I was, but I did see where the snow got too deep for him and he turned around, but like I said, I was impressed with the capabilities of those cars. Plus getting what, close to 30 mpgs versus my 15 mpg out of my truck.

I did look around and the Subarus look pretty good. Especially since they seem pretty cheap for the Outbacks and Foresters. It makes more sense to get something that I can drive daily and save gas, and the Subaru would still be better than my civic. I looked at a couple 2000 to 2005 year models that ranged from $2000 to $6000. I would definitely have more versatility just based on the clearance.

See Youtube for videos of Subarus offroad. Our dogmobile is an '02 Forester. It has been a reliable rig, able to handle 2 track carefully. Most Subies have timing belts, which need replaced along w water pump every 80-90K miles. And those w 2.5 engines (older than about 2006) will likely need head gasket replacement around 120K. The T belt is expensive, head gaskets are really expensive as engine has 2 of them. I'd buy another Forester in a heartbeat.

Ya, Subaru wagons are awesome. Around here they demand a premium price for good condition/low mileage. With some body damage and a less than stellar interior you might get a great deal.

We went Toyota Camry based upon reliability reports, as our previous car had issues. Next car will be a newer Subaru, but you don't get those for $6000. :)

I did look around and the Subarus look pretty good. Especially since they seem pretty cheap for the Outbacks and Foresters. It makes more sense to get something that I can drive daily and save gas, and the Subaru would still be better than my civic. I looked at a couple 2000 to 2005 year models that ranged from $2000 to $6000. I would definitely have more versatility just based on the clearance.

The civic is a perfect college car. Drive it into the ground until you're done.

If you are going to be making multiple hunts and driving out west, a subaru is a great idea for you and so cost effective for you to use while you are at school too. I would still use the car you have now though. With your 5k you were thinking of spending on a vehicle, you may realize you need something better in your gear you take with you, that you could purchase for your next hunt too. Better tent or sleeping bag for example. Great ideas above. When I used my Jetta, I wish I had a roof rack. Funny how you never think of certain things. Even without it, when you want to hunt, you find a way to make it happen, and you will too.

Have you decided what state you want to hunt in?

My first elk hunt will most likely be in either MT or CO for early season. I also plan on doing some Pronghorn hunting in WY.

And my civic saves me a lot of money on gas too!

My first elk hunt will most likely be in either MT or CO for early season. I also plan on doing some Pronghorn hunting in WY.

And my civic saves me a lot of money on gas too!

One thing to consider, any bull bigger than a 4 point wont fit either in your trunk or in the car itself, therefore you will need someway to put it on the roof. You could certainly ratchet strap it directly to the roof but a rack keeps you from having to have the straps go through the windows. Also a couple smaller coolers are better than one giant one as far as meat goes, you absolutely can fit a boned out elk and mule deer in a sedan at once.

rack.jpg

I've got to step in here on the "cost effective" argument, 2000's Honda vs. early 2000's Sooby... My wife and I have owned both, and been near both for a long time. I would never call a Subaru "cost effective" when compared to a 2000 civic. That civic will still be happily running after the Armageddon, and parts can just about be found on the side of the road, if the unusual happens and the need for repairs comes up..

The Sooby, while great in snotty conditions, will never compare when it comes to reliability or cost of ownership. The cost of the parts alone will have you looking for the hidden BMW tag when faced with the price.

Our research has me agreeing with RanchoLoco. Hence why we opted not to buy a high mileage or older Subaru.

I've got to step in here on the "cost effective" argument, 2000's Honda vs. early 2000's Sooby...

Totally agree, we have an 06 Corolla with 230k and an 09 Sub with 130k... I've not been super impressed with the maintenance cost of the Sub in comparison to the Corolla; timing belt, water pump, all four wheels had bearing issues, cabin and engine filters cost 2x as much, tires are about 3x, sub has disk brakes front and back corolla has drums in the back so thats 2x on break pads and rotors, and the rack and pinion is starting to show signs it needs to be replaced. Corolla has had a new water pump and value timing solenoid. I bet we have put 4x to 5x the money into the Sub as the corolla despite the Corolla having almost double the miles.

Totally agree, we have an 06 Corolla with 230k and an 09 Sub with 130k... I've not been super impressed with the maintenance cost of the Sub in comparison to the Corolla; timing belt, water pump, all four wheels had bearing issues, cabin and engine filters cost 2x as much, tires are about 3x, sub has disk brakes front and back corolla has drums in the back so thats 2x on break pads and rotors, and the rack and pinion is starting to show signs it needs to be replaced. Corolla has had a new water pump and value timing solenoid. I bet we have put 4x to 5x the money into the Sub as the corolla despite the Corolla having almost double the miles.

Yeah, my civic is pretty cheap and easy to work on. I am glad y'all brought this up before I dived in. I started thinking about all the people who go hiking and backpacking that drive small cars.

I like the car rack setup you have Wllm. Where do you put the smaller coolers at? In the backseat or the trunk?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back