PEAX Equipment

Big Dreams on a College Budget

Our 06 Camry is similar in regard to the rack. Coolers go in the back seat. Two big ones fit side by side on the seat.

Last fall, during the general season, we had quite a bit of snow and most people were running chains on their rigs and as I was making my way to my normal hunting area, I pulled over to let a guy come by and here it was a Subaru Forester. I was pretty impressed he was up where I was, but I did see where the snow got too deep for him and he turned around, but like I said, I was impressed with the capabilities of those cars. Plus getting what, close to 30 mpgs versus my 15 mpg out of my truck.

That's what I'm getting at...they aren't perfect by a long shot but what vehicle is? I don't need a big rig for a daily driver, something that gets me there and does the job as economically as possible is what I'm after. If anyone made a lift/spacer kit that would work on my Highlander I'd snap it up since, aside from the ground clearance, it is a beast of a vehicle. I've had it in some pretty tough terrain and it does really well except when the rocks get large. Plus the mileage is pretty decent...19/23.

I leave my Chevy truck in the driveway and take my 1990 Nissan Sentra hunting a lot of the time. I dont take animals out whole anyways...

Yeah, my civic is pretty cheap and easy to work on. I am glad y'all brought this up before I dived in. I started thinking about all the people who go hiking and backpacking that drive small cars.

I like the car rack setup you have Wllm. Where do you put the smaller coolers at? In the backseat or the trunk?

On that particular hunt I took an old coleman 100, a coleman 50, and a yeti 65 filled with frozen jugs. The yeti is a bit too wide and tall to fit in the trunk so when I'm driving I put the coleman 100 in the trunk with all my gear and the 50 and 65 in the back seat. When I'm out hunting (especially in CO) I put all three in the backseat with the yeti in the middle and toss some clothes or gear on top so that people can't tell the middle one is a yeti... totally unnecessary but I don't want my window smashed for a cooler. I can usually get the 100, 65, 50, my pelican rifle case and all my gear and a buddies in the car with the plenty of leg room for the passenger.

Thank you everyone for the advice and encouragement! Hopefully I will get some western experience in my civic soon.

Personally I would stick with your car and save that money for gear and maybe a hitch hauler. You could get by with the car and really with 5,000 in cash you still aren't going to get a "reliable" truck, unless you are really lucky. Just my two cents. Good luck

Personally I would stick with your car and save that money for gear and maybe a hitch hauler. You could get by with the car and really with 5,000 in cash you still aren't going to get a "reliable" truck, unless you are really lucky. Just my two cents. Good luck

I agree, if I did find something that cheap it would probably cost a lot to get it where I want it for hunting and the long trips. Thank you

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back