Big Dreams on a College Budget

GAoutdoors

I am planning on doing an elk hunt in the next two years, but I have one problem: No truck!
Sadly, none of the people that I may hunt with have reliable trucks to make the trip from GA out west.

I thought about doing rentals, but it doesn't seem very cost effective unless I have at least 3-4 people splitting the cost. (I could be wrong)

So, I am planning to save some money and buy a vehicle that I could use for hunting out west.
I would say my budget would be ~$5000 after saving from work.

Any suggestions on what to look for? (Make and Mileage?)
From what I have picked up on here, it probably needs to be 4x4 too.

I have a 2000 Honda civic right now.:D I can barely fit one 120qt cooler in the backseat.

Toyota is what I recommend if you want reliable travel from GA to elk country in a 4wd. FWIW- All the trailheads I elk hunt from in SW MT can be accessed by car via paved road.

so you're set with the cooler, cruise craigslist for a roof rack and you're good. Lot's of trailheads out there are reachable by grocery getters, and it makes for good trail head camoflage, too.

so you're set with the cooler, cruise craigslist for a roof rack and you're good. Lot's of trailheads out there are reachable by grocery getters, and it makes for good trail head camoflage, too.
Agree. Several of the last few elk and bears I've killed were accessed with a 2wd Honda car.

Toyota is what I recommend if you want reliable travel from GA to elk country in a 4wd. FWIW- All the trailheads I elk hunt from in SW MT can be accessed by car via paved road.

Okay, that is good advice.

So in essence if I do my research, I should be able to find huntable locations that I can access with my car and go elk hunting sooner rather than later?

Then when I have the budget I could start looking at a used Toyota just so I am more confident in accessing other locations?

Okay, that is good advice.

So in essence if I do my research, I should be able to find huntable locations that I can access with my car and go elk hunting sooner rather than later?

Then when I have the budget I could start looking at a used Toyota just so I am more confident in accessing other locations?

Yes. I'm not certain of a sure fire way to scout which "easily accessed" trailheads are good without putting boots on the ground, but I just look for trails that no motorized vehicles and atv's are allowed on. Then hike.
If it were me, I would still want a 4wd for more versatility and snowy/icy roads though.

I bought my 02 Sequoia for under $6k with 200,000 on it. It's still going strong at 250,000. That said, I have had to put a couple thousand into it over the last 5 years. I think anything you buy, and especially a 4x4, for the $5k mark is going to need some work. I agree with others that you can hunt out of a car just fine. Maybe you can't drive to as many places but walking is free.

I am going to echo what others are saying - budget that $5K to hunts and just use the car. You should still find plenty of places to access and get far better fuel mileage than a truck. Is it the "sexy" thing to do? Hell no but it gets you out hunting and that is all that really matters. I used to take my VW Jetta through some gnarly stuff to get to fishing and hunting spots.

Yes. I'm not certain of a sure fire way to scout which "easily accessed" trailheads are good without putting boots on the ground, but I just look for trails that no motorized vehicles and atv's are allowed on. Then hike.
If it were me, I would still want a 4wd for more versatility and snowy/icy roads though.

You can rally a front wheel drive through some pretty serious shit..

Sounds like this is your first hunt out to the West. Save your money. I hunted with a two wheel drive car for many years before I got a truck. I have had bear, deer, and an elk in my little car. Think of the drive out and the money in gas you'll save too for your first trip. Sure, it can come down to what state, season, and elevation you plan on hunting. Late season hunt and higher elevations a 4x4 would be a better choice, but as stated earlier, there is a lot of access for cars and hiking in. Earlier archery hunts you could get away with a car, and early rifle hunts too. Especially if you park at lower elevations and hike up and in. If you're willing to spend 5k on a vehicle, think of these options. Fly in and rent a 4x4, if you really think it's needed. Faster travel times gives you an extra day or two for hunting instead of driving. You could get outfitted and dropped off at a hunting camp. You still have two years to try and find someone to meet you for a hunt too that might have a vehicle to share and use for driving up certain roads. Spend some of the money this season and get boots on the ground, see the terrain and drive the roads and see where you can and can not go. As for a truck, it's going to personal preference. I have a Tacoma that I love and will stay with Toyota. I prefer a smaller wheel base to the larger trucks, but I also don't need to tow anything either.

Ahhh the memories my first hunting rig was a 1987 Pontiac hatchback my grandpa helped me buy for $800. I sure had some times in that thing hauled a many deer out strapped to the top or thrown in back. Had it in places a truck wouldn't go I think. Haha haha Go hunt man!

I got into hunting as an adult through my wife's family, they have been trying to get me to buy a truck for 8 years now. I drive an '06 corolla and after five deer, three elk, a couple bears, and a bunch of pronghorn I don't think I ever will. You definitely can't road hunt like you can in a truck and you have to be more judicious about where you drive and when, but if pay attention to the weather when your on dirt roads you will be fine, also 32 mpg feels soooo good on the wallet. Honestly aside from a few parts of NE Montana and a couple of spots in Wyoming, and two front range trail-heads in CO I have never thought twice about driving my corolla to my hunting spot, also almost all of the wilderness areas in CO can be reached via pavement. Quarter and/or bone out your critters and when in doubt walk the last mile to the trail head and you won't have any problems.

corolla.jpg

If you really want a new $5k 4x4, you might consider looking at small SUVs. Prices are usually much lower than for an equivalent year/mileage 4x4 truck, and much better on gas too. My first several trips west were in a 2006 Escape, it worked perfectly and had plenty of cargo space with a hitch basket.

While most of my trips would have been fine in a small car (and I've taken a Chevy Cruze to Montana and a Ford Fiesta to Arizona), there have also been a few when I would have been snowed in at camp and lost a couple days of hunting. I've also been on plenty of 2-tracks that a low-clearance car just wouldn't cut it.

Like others have said, you can definitely do a trip in your car, as long as you're prepared to possibly do some extra walking. But you will be limited, and if you plan on making a western hunt an annual thing, I think a higher clearance 4x4 is a good investment.

Sounds like this is your first hunt out to the West. Save your money. I hunted with a two wheel drive car for many years before I got a truck. I have had bear, deer, and an elk in my little car. Think of the drive out and the money in gas you'll save too for your first trip. Sure, it can come down to what state, season, and elevation you plan on hunting. Late season hunt and higher elevations a 4x4 would be a better choice, but as stated earlier, there is a lot of access for cars and hiking in. Earlier archery hunts you could get away with a car, and early rifle hunts too. Especially if you park at lower elevations and hike up and in. If you're willing to spend 5k on a vehicle, think of these options. Fly in and rent a 4x4, if you really think it's needed. Faster travel times gives you an extra day or two for hunting instead of driving. You could get outfitted and dropped off at a hunting camp. You still have two years to try and find someone to meet you for a hunt too that might have a vehicle to share and use for driving up certain roads. Spend some of the money this season and get boots on the ground, see the terrain and drive the roads and see where you can and can not go.

I will be doing an early season hunt, so the car makes sense. Since I would be spending 5k just to buy a vehicle that I'm going to be putting a lot of miles on going out west, it would make since to rent a vehicle for my one hunt a year.

Thank you.

3 of us rented a Chevy Equinox AWD SUV for less than $600 and drove it from Mississippi to Montana and back to hunt with no issues. That was only $200 a piece for the rental. Makes more sense than buying if the budget is tight.

I've also been on plenty of 2-tracks that a low-clearance car just wouldn't cut it.

Like others have said, you can definitely do a trip in your car, as long as you're prepared to possibly do some extra walking. But you will be limited, and if you plan on making a western hunt an annual thing, I think a higher clearance 4x4 is a good investment.

Yeah I have ran into a problem of low-clearance hunting whitetails where I had to walk the extra mile. I think I can try my car out during summer fishing/scouting and go from there. I could at least find some locations that I can hunt and always have a backup plan.

And one more thing. I wish I would have started hunting out west when I was in college. I was 27 before I went on my first elk hunt. If you can do it now, go for it. You will not regret it!

And one more thing. I wish I would have started hunting out west when I was in college. I was 27 before I went on my first elk hunt. If you can do it now, go for it. You will not regret it!

Thanks Southern Elk! I will be interning in Western MS this summer, so I may be making that same drive up to MT for a fishing trip.

I haven't even been yet, and I wish I had started sooner!

Back