Ended my NC spring turkey season in a strange way last Sunday

DRS

Killed a second gobbler last Sunday morning but it wasn't much of a hunt. After seeing a gobbler acting strange in a winter wheat field Sat. evening I ended up basically walking up on him the next morning in the same field. When I went to pick him up I saw he had growths/scabs/tumors all over his head and appeared to be blind in his right eye. Also, even though he had a 10.5 beard and 7/8" spurs he looked emaciated and was probably on 12 pounds max. I was afraid of eating the meat so I left the carcass in the woods. I called the state regional biologist Monday and he indicated that it sounded like either he had avian pox of LPDV. He would have needed the body to test to be sure. Either way he said it is not dangerous to humans and is not known to adversely affect the overall turkey population. He said I did the right thing to go ahead and kill it and offered to get me another tag, but I declined because I'm traveling out of state to hunt next week and between that, work, and family plans I probably won't have much time to hunt in NC before the season goes out anyway.

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1291.jpg

A coup de gras well given. I salute your integrity sir......and a tip of the hat to the biologist that offered you a replacement tag.

Did he say whether or not it could be spread to other turkeys? I'd hate to see that spread around here!

But, thanks for taking him out of his misery and calling the biologist!

Did he say whether or not it could be spread to other turkeys? I'd hate to see that spread around here!

But, thanks for taking him out of his misery and calling the biologist!

I asked him if these diseases could adversely affect the population in the area and he stated that at this time the NCWRC did not think that they had a significant effect.

Maybe I can find his brother this week. I've finally gotten things arranged so that I can leave my wife overnight, at least for one night, so loaded my canoe atop the truck and am headed for the blackwater river of choice hoping to tag a long beard and catch a bucket full of bluegills and warmouth perch on this full moon.

Maybe I can find his brother this week. I've finally gotten things arranged so that I can leave my wife overnight, at least for one night, so loaded my canoe atop the truck and am headed for the blackwater river of choice hoping to tag a long beard and catch a bucket full of bluegills and warmouth perch on this full moon.

Sound like an ideal spring weekend in the Carolina coastal plain!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back