Montana Deer 2018 (Michigan)

kdevree

Hi All,

I went and got a deer combo this year and am planning on going solo. Reaching out to you folks at hunttalk to see if there is anyone who wants to team up or has room for one more. I'm fine with doing a solo hunt, but am realizing the drive and cost of going alone will be a bit much. Sharing costs and/or commeraderie would be helpful.

I'm 28 and this will be my first deer hunt out west. My first out west trip was last fall in Wyoming for pronghorn. I'm still very new to western hunting, but I make up for the time I put in.

To anyone else going best of luck.

Kody

whitetail or muley, bow or gun, i have hunted montana last four yrs i am in u.p. i can maybe give you some pointers

I'll be targeting mule deer with a rifle. I can't say I'll be passing on a whitetail, though.

I'm in the Grand Rapids area. I would appreciate any discussion on the topic.

roughing it or staying in cabin/motel? bring your own water. one gal per man/day. i can my own chili/pea soup/boiled dinner/beef stew in quart jars. heat the jars in water in a pan on cook stove for meals and eat it out of the jars. no dishes, no mess, no fuss no ice for food. i borrow a 6x14 ft utility trailer, with my wheeler and gear in the trailer locked away. i sleep in the trailer. fill your truck with gas before to get to camping spot and syphon gas out of truck into wheeler when needed, no gas cans. oatmeal/cream of wheat for breakfast. get a garmin oregon gps with a montana chip in it it will save you tons of scouting and property headaches. get on montana state website hunt planner or this site http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/ this is a plat map for entire state. get a cot or hammock to sleep. make sure you have a small compressor and tire patch kit. get 10 ply tires on truck you WILL get flats i had 3 last year and 50 miles from service station. starting fluid for vehicles, if you have cordless drill/saw take them. good tool kit. pot to boil head in if needed. the east side is great mule deer hunting. circle to broadus good place to start.

roughing it or staying in cabin/motel? bring your own water. one gal per man/day. i can my own chili/pea soup/boiled dinner/beef stew in quart jars. heat the jars in water in a pan on cook stove for meals and eat it out of the jars. no dishes, no mess, no fuss no ice for food. i borrow a 6x14 ft utility trailer, with my wheeler and gear in the trailer locked away. i sleep in the trailer. fill your truck with gas before to get to camping spot and syphon gas out of truck into wheeler when needed, no gas cans. oatmeal/cream of wheat for breakfast. get a garmin oregon gps with a montana chip in it it will save you tons of scouting and property headaches. get on montana state website hunt planner or this site http://svc.mt.gov/msl/mtcadastral/ this is a plat map for entire state. get a cot or hammock to sleep. make sure you have a small compressor and tire patch kit. get 10 ply tires on truck you WILL get flats i had 3 last year and 50 miles from service station. starting fluid for vehicles, if you have cordless drill/saw take them. good tool kit. pot to boil head in if needed. the east side is great mule deer hunting. circle to broadus good place to start.

I'm planning on roughing it. I would like to be as flexible as possible and keep it cost effective. Some good notes here. Thanks for the info.

Might be able to help you out but its very dependent on how the archery hunt goes. I typically head out to Montana for a week of archery and return with the rifle for a week if unsuccessful. If I do go back its typically the later half of the general season. November 15- to season closure. I'd be ruffing it and I'd also be on your way or near. Send me a PM and we can keep in touch throughout the fall. I'd be willing to travel, hunt, and split costs if I will be returning with the rifle.

Might be able to help you out but its very dependent on how the archery hunt goes. I typically head out to Montana for a week of archery and return with the rifle for a week if unsuccessful. If I do go back its typically the later half of the general season. November 15- to season closure. I'd be ruffing it and I'd also be on your way or near. Send me a PM and we can keep in touch throughout the fall. I'd be willing to travel, hunt, and split costs if I will be returning with the rifle.

Thanks for reaching out. Sending a PM.

i will send you my hunting trip checklist. there are other things. that i didnt mention. watch as much of randy's videos as possible, eastman's outdoors, misc. youtube elk, muleys videos. track down a utility trailer, plastic totes, water jugs, check into "hormel completes" they are sealed meals, that dont require refrigeration, on walmart online. they are 2 bux /each i eat them cold. a camelback water is a must. i will add as things come to mind.

a checklist for you to use

HUNTING CLOTHES
Camo Pants &shirts
Heavy Hunting camo
Light Hunting camo
Long Johns
Poly Socks
Camo cap and hat
Hunting Socks
Regular socks
Camo rain poncho
Face mask
Camo gloves
Fall and winter hunting boots

EQUIPMENT
Propane tanks for gas stuff (heaters/grill/lantern)
Propane stove
Spade
Solar shower
Crank radio
Hand gun (heavy caliber) w/holster
Gas cans
Water cans (collapsible)
Small barbeque grill
White gas
Lighters
Matches
Come-along
Lawn chairs
Chainsaw/stuff
Axe
Rope
Ratchet straps
Rubber bungis
Coleman lantern
Batteries AA and AAA
Radio walkie talkies
Back Pack & Frame
Block n tackle
Binoculars
Candle
Compass
Leathermans tool
Tool kit
Bow tool kit
Extra arrows
Bow target
Bow case
Fanny pack
Conservation Tag
Flashlights 2
GPS
Phone/charger
Bow Case Hard
Head Lamp
Hot Seat
Knife
Knife Sharpener
License
Maps
Rope
Sheets-Meat-Wrap
Spotting Scope
Surgical Gloves
Toilet Paper
Walkie Talkies
Watch
Water Jugs
Wire & String
Wyoming Knife
Bone saw
Machete
Elk calls/bugles/reeds
Spare bow
Bow fix kit
Range finder
Towel
Fanny pack
Scent shield
Heavy sleeping bag
Binos/harness
Rangefinder
Bow sling
Extra bow
Wind checker
Head lamps
Utility knife
Duct tape
fire starter kits
Hammock

TRUCK
Atlas
Chain
First Aid Kit
Tools
Tow Straps
Floor jack
Gas cans
Syphon hose
Atv tire patch kit
Fix a flat
starting fluid
sea foam

DRESS CLOTHES
Blue Jeans
Fall Jacket
Tennis Shoes
Underwear

ACCESSORIES
Generator/cords
Alarm Clock
Boot Dressing (before)
Camera
Card Deck
Coolers
Freezer Paper
Freezer Tape
Garbage Bags
Sun Glasses
Zip-Lock Bags
cheaters
bag of heavy duty zip ties
pot for boiling head

PERSONAL
AnAcid
Aspirin
Cot
Pillow
Shaving kit
Shampoo
Amoxicillin

PRE TRIP ITEMS
Fan Belt (Spare)
Oil Change
Spare Tire Check

Coffee
Cups
Plates
Silverware
Glasses
Paper towels
4 wheeler
4 wheeler key

I've hunted MT. the last 9 years, but can't be much help on Deer, most of the decent Bucks both Muley's & Whitetail I see are on private property.

IF, you are camping - hunting in a Grizzly area, all food & drinks need to be kept in Bear prof containers.

Kevin

i will send you my hunting trip checklist. there are other things. that i didnt mention. watch as much of randy's videos as possible, eastman's outdoors, misc. youtube elk, muleys videos. track down a utility trailer, plastic totes, water jugs, check into "hormel completes" they are sealed meals, that dont require refrigeration, on walmart online. they are 2 bux /each i eat them cold. a camelback water is a must. i will add as things come to mind.

Thanks for the list.

I've hunted MT. the last 9 years, but can't be much help on Deer, most of the decent Bucks both Muley's & Whitetail I see are on private property.

IF, you are camping - hunting in a Grizzly area, all food & drinks need to be kept in Bear prof containers.

Kevin

I'm not too worried about size. I'm going for the experience and to hopefully bag my first mule deer. My only concern is traveling that far solo. Anything happens and it just makes it that more difficult.

I'm not too worried about size. I'm going for the experience and to hopefully bag my first mule deer. My only concern is traveling that far solo. Anything happens and it just makes it that more difficult.

It's a long drive for sure, I've made a couple trips alone, depending on what part of MT. you go to, you are looking at about 24 hours of drive time each way.

Kevin

It's a long drive for sure, I've made a couple trips alone, depending on what part of MT. you go to, you are looking at about 24 hours of drive time each way.

Kevin

Good to know someone else has done it. Sounds like it isn't so bad if you've done it a couple times.

Good to know someone else has done it. Sounds like it isn't so bad if you've done it a couple times.

I drive a lot with my business, so I am some what use to driving.
I leave my house at 3am drive to Spearfish, SD. about 16 to 17 hours, get a Motel, sleep for 5 or 6 hours, and back on the road at 4am. then drive into my hunt camp about 8 more hours.

OH, and I'm 65 yrs old, so a young guy like you should be able to do it easy.

Kevin

I drive a lot with my business, so I am some what use to driving.
I leave my house at 3am drive to Spearfish, SD. about 16 to 17 hours, get a Motel, sleep for 5 or 6 hours, and back on the road at 4am. then drive into my hunt camp about 8 more hours.

OH, and I'm 65 yrs old, so a young guy like you should be able to do it easy.

Kevin

Right on.

I have also gone solo a half dozen times, take off early from u.p. and i am in montana by 10pm take a nap in truck finish out trip to location by noon, final shopping,gas, etc go hunting. i am 55. you cn do it

I have also gone solo a half dozen times, take off early from u.p. and i am in montana by 10pm take a nap in truck finish out trip to location by noon, final shopping,gas, etc go hunting. i am 55. you cn do it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back