Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Gutless Method in Grizz Country

CiK

I will be in Wyoming grizz country hunting elk this year. The one task that has me somewhat anxious is the breaking down of the elk IF I get one down. I am concerned I will be too focused on it to look around and check my surroundings enough.

I saw Fred Eichler's 10 minute gutless method video where he broke down the quarters with the hide/hair still on them. Fred's video had snow on the ground so I thought this might a good way to get things done and away from the kill site quickly since I am hunting late September into early October.

Will the weather then be cool enough to cool the meat even with the hide/hair on it?

If yes, awesome. If no, then crud.

Tony

Depends on the weather:)

You can always remove hide later.

I would not leave the hair on there. Even if it is cool enough to not affect the meet (doubtful) it will be an incredible pain to get off later when its frozen on. I would still do the gutless method.

I have done it with the hide on and yes, it is very fast. However, it was 20 degrees and snowing. If it's warmer I would take the extra time to get the hide off to allow the meat to cool. Hide does a great job of holding heat in, which will increase your chances of spoiling in warm weather.

I would remove the hide and use the gutless method. Build a fire and take a break to check your surroundings. Hang the meat well away from the carcass and in a open area that you can check from a distance if you have to make multiple trips.

Bears or no bears I would never leave the hide on. It only takes a few minutes longer to get the hide off before quartering.

The rifle is a dinner bell for griz as one outfitter in the Bridger-Teton Wilderness shared. You know to be aware of your surroundings while harvesting, etc. With that said, take the time needed to do it right. Gutless, removing hide from quarters is a great method to reduce time and effectively harvest the elk. Rushed due to concerns over griz, and razor type blades for processing do not work well together - least that is my experience, haha!

razor type blades for processing do not work well together - least that is my experience, haha!

X2 on the razor blade knives. I used my Buck folder which you can shave with which made it about half way thru my bull. Then I switched to my Gerber Vital and proceeded to break 3 blades trying to finish. I would of rather had my sharpener or another fixed blade with a stiff spine.

^The blades with the outdoor edge knife with the removable blades are much tougher than the gerber blades in my opinion. It's all I use in the field anymore.

^The blades with the outdoor edge knife with the removable blades are much tougher than the gerber blades in my opinion. It's all I use in the field anymore.

^^^^I've switched to this one as well. Great design and I have 5 extra sharpened blades along with me to switch out. Only ever needed 2 blades to break-down an elk in the field. Then, when back at home, you can sharpen the used blades or, if lazy, just go buy new ones.

To the OP - I've hunted in grizz country in SW Montana now for a very long time and have never had an issue with a bear coming in looking for supper on my freshly killed elk - while I'm field dressing it. More of the issue is when you leave with your first load and then, get back to the remaining meat for your second load. Now, that situation can be "interesting". I learned to hang my meat well away from the gutted remains. From then on, non-issue. Just be smart about your process and "think". Even if it takes a little more effort in moving things around before you leave with that first load, you'll be happier when you come back for the next loads and not having issues.

Best of luck to you on your hunt!

You aren't Fred Eichler. It takes a LOT of practice to do it that fast.

Heck, solo, it might take me 5 minutes just to tie a hind quarter in a position where I won't injure myself removing it.

Leaving the hide on is going to be %100 weather dependent and if you have a cool dark place you can hang it over night. I rarely remove the hide from my quarters because it is a barrier from dirt and I've never had meat spoil due to this, but that's also dependent on if you can find a place to hang it and let it cool down and leaving the hide on reduces shrinkage, depending on how long you plan on letting it hang. It's tough to tell what the weather is going to be like that time of year, could have a foot of snow or we could be in fire restrictions, just gotta plan accordingly. But hauling your quarters and hanging them as far from the carcass as possible would be your best bet either way

take a friend with you, always better to have a 2nd pair of eyes scouting around while someone is doing the dirty work

would not worry about a grizz, just be smart. keep your eyes/ears open. break him down and hang it away from the kill site. if you want to save time you can remove the hide back at camp. we've killed probably 6 animals in grizz country, no issues. have fun

You can take the hair off the legs after they’ve been removed from the elk. In fact, randy did that on his gutless deer video iirc.

I would say it's conditions dependent.

Leaving Hide on Pros:
1) I like to hang meat with the hide on if possible. You can hang a bit longer and not trim as much meat (think rind).
2) Faster. There is a step deleted.
3) Tends to stay cleaner in the field (dirt, leaves, etc). Easy to mitigate with game bags / tarp on the ground (if I am skinning then quartering).

Leaving Hide on Cons:
1) More hair on the meat to clean up while processing (at least in the joint areas).
2) More weight to pack out.

I tend to skin, then quarter - but if I can I bring out hide on. If it going to freeze hard at night, I skin first. Thawing and then skinning can be a pain if you aren't setup for it. This usually doesn't become an issue until 10-15 F or lower.

If I bring out skinned, then I process faster (less hang time). Let it get through the rigor cycle and then go to town.

It is rare for me to leave bones because bone stock is so damn good.

As for Griz, keep your head on a swivel and work fast (not sloppy). The last thing I do is puncture below the diaphragm to get the tenders. It's best to have partners if griz interaction is a serious concern.

I would say it's conditions dependent.

Leaving Hide on Pros:
1) I like to hang meat with the hide on if possible. You can hang a bit longer and not trim as much meat (think rind).
2) Faster. There is a step deleted.
3) Tends to stay cleaner in the field (dirt, leaves, etc). Easy to mitigate with game bags / tarp on the ground (if I am skinning then quartering).

Leaving Hide on Cons:
1) More hair on the meat to clean up while processing (at least in the joint areas).
2) More weight to pack out.

I tend to skin, then quarter - but if I can I bring out hide on. If it going to freeze hard at night, I skin first. Thawing and then skinning can be a pain if you aren't setup for it. This usually doesn't become an issue until 10-15 F or lower.

If I bring out skinned, then I process faster (less hang time). Let it get through the rigor cycle and then go to town.

It is rare for me to leave bones because bone stock is so damn good.

As for Griz, keep your head on a swivel and work fast (not sloppy). The last thing I do is puncture below the diaphragm to get the tenders. It's best to have partners if griz interaction is a serious concern.

+1 to everything here.

I have three old nags that are helpful in packing out quarters, if I am in a place I can get them to, and its worth the time to go get them, I always leave the hide on the quarters as it insulates the body heat from the horse when i sling them on my deckers. If I have to carry them out of some miserable hole, the hide comes off when I put them on my pack, its heavy and I am getting old....

We always leave hair on the elk or deer quarters for packing out with horses or mules. Once I didn't when I wanted to keep the entire elk hide. Otherwise, we've had zero issues with leaving hair on quarters in the last 20 years.

I Always take hide off, weight and hair savings! And take your time just be aware as you clean, your more likely to cut yourself and do more damage than a highly unlikely bear attack. Dont get yourself into bad situations meaning think before you pull trigger is getting this elk out possible. i often leave woods little early when in heavy bear country cause i dont want to deal with it in dark, elk will be there in morning... also have enough rope to hang meat if you do shot one 50` of stretchy paracord doesnt go far!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back