Mystery ranch pop up 28

Bsavaii

I’m looking into the mystery ranch pop up 28. I was looking for info and YouTube videos don’t answer my question. I know it’s a day pack but wanted to know if I could get at least 2 days out of it. I just need to fit a msr wind screen burner, light weight sleeping bag, food and water or at I can pack a small water filter. I need the load carrying frame and that’s why I’m considering the pop up 28. Any advice would help.

It would be tight for sure. Its not a very big bag, but with the overload shelf, I'm sure you could get everything in there for an overnight trip. Just gotta get creative with your packing skills. But if it were me....i'd look for a bigger pack. This one is suited perfectly for day hunts, and would be pushing it for much more.

Having seen one in person- you may be able to make it happen by putting all of your extra gear in a dry bag between the pack and the frame, but it would be super tight. Honestly, if your goal is packing in for several days I don't know why you go this route when there are so many larger packs out there that would do the job way better.

Mainly the cost and I don’t hunt for more than two days at a time. Thanks for the advice. I would love to get a bigger pack but I just can’t afford it yet.

My Scapegoat 35 comes in at just over 2100 cubic inches, a Popup 28 would be 1700. With your list, in the original post, you could do overnights. Only way to make it work for me would be to use the overload for food/gear that wouldn't fit into the pack, as I am not the king of ultralight camping.

I’m in the same boat. Currently using a cheap 1600 cu in pack that holds all of my day gear with room to spare. Thinking I could get an overnight out of this pack fairly easy. My longest trip would be a hike to camp one afternoon/evening, hunt the next day and then back out that night. Plus with the “warmer” fall weather here in Southern California, I could probably get away with a tarp shelter and a small blanket instead of a sleepin bag.

Check out the used market. I am confident you can get a used Metcalf or Pintler for 250-300, then you will have a solid pack for overnights, and probably a little better frame for hauling protein.

i too am interested in the MR pop up 28. not necessarily as an overnight pack, but mostly for a day pack that can haul meat if and when it becomes necessary. i don't like to carry a lot of gear, rifle/bow, binoculars, rangefinder, water, lots of snacks, etc., i think that for an all day hunt, it would be a perfect pack.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back