Caribou Gear

Bear Meat Recipes

For any bear i usually cook it in dishes i can overcook meat and season heavily. Stroganoff, chilli, enchilads etc.

Bear roast cooked all day long in crock pot with a jar of salsa. At dinner time, eat with tortillas and shredded cheese for bearritos! Yum!

Get a sous vide and try it every way you would venison...

I do fry a chunk of fat first thing and see what it tastes like, if it is buttery the whole gamut of beef and venison recipes is open, if not I do more sausage and cured things.

I do fry a chunk of fat first thing and see what it tastes like, if it is buttery the whole gamut of beef and venison recipes is open, if not I do more sausage and cured things.

^^^ Exactly

The sausage I had made here in the Springs at Prime is good enough that every thing I have made with it the wife (picky) has been happy wife. I had my mine into half breakfast and half Italian bulk sausage.

learn to can wild meats, ad the met with gravy over noodles/rice/mashed taters. no freezer burn, unlimited time, tender,seasoned to your liking cant go wrong

I've heard that bear meat taste can vary greatly based on it's diet. Is this how you 'taste test' it? From what I've gathered, if it's been eating carrion it tastes horrible, but if it's berries and nuts, it's really good.

I've done bear roasts in the smoker before. They are pretty lean, so I injected them with apple juice and sprayed them through the process. So people drape bacon on them to smoke.

I've had bear sausage that was excellent. A buddy smoked a huge rear ham roast that was to die for, and I've had very good bear steaks also. The meat tasted great and was juicy and moist. I really like bear. Hope I get one soon!

Agree on the ham thing and sausage, like summer sausage or smoked bratwurst. Wasn't terribly excited about my ground bear burger as a hamburger since you have to cook it well done. Other uses for burger was great. Kept my shanks on my last bear and did the Osso Bucco, which is a long slow braise and liked that. I also think bear meat makes great Mexican dishes. Bear street tacos are some of my favorites. These are not the tacos that you can hardly tell there is meat in them let alone taste the meat. They are simple tacos with mostly meat. Used a Meat Eater Taco recipe that I have also used for deer, elk, and bison. Again it calls for slow and low until the meat can be shredded.

Bear Tacos.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back