Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

DIY 2nd Hunt Choices

fmnjr

This is my first year elk hunting. Got my application/tag in for NV but the odds are slim and none for that. So, the first part of my plan is to an early spike hunt in OR with my brother who has hunted there for many years. Having not hunted elk at all, I intend to make up for lost time and opportunities and am considering choices for a late bull elk hunt as well. I'd like to be fortunate enough to get a beautiful mature bull but I'll be happy to just be able to hunt and hopefully be successful. Solo, or with a partner, either way I'm game to do the work required to get the job done. I've been researching here and elsewhere regarding where I might pull an OTC tag and would like to get some feedback where, if you were in my circumstances, you'd try to pull a tag? Colorado, Idaho, or ? Thanks for any feedback....

There are some spike and any bull general season units in UT that would be options as well as cow tags when that application period opens later. 'Twould be a closer option to consider.

I'd go Colorado. It's too late for Montana I think though you could see if they have general elk tags left after their draw.

Whatever you do, don't do Utah for a general season hunt. I've lived there and it's bad news and really not up to par with Colorado/Idaho and the rest for general tags.

Utah was, before I'd done any research, one of my choices and, it was based on similar reasoning where "it was close by". From what I can tell though, pretty much everyone regards the general hunts there as not being worth it. Personally, I don't know and would be thrilled to find out otherwise. It is the lowest cost OTC tag available.....buyer beware though, you generally get what you pay for. All the preceding led to me the notion that CO/ID would be one of the next choices. Guess I'll just have to get busy and decide which it's gonna be.

Ive hunted OTC in both Idaho and Colorado without any complaints. I enjoyed Idaho more, although I was successful in Colorado and not in Idaho. If you have any desire to do it with a bow in your hand I would definitely lean towards Idaho

you've got Utah otc elk as a choice,,,but id try for Idaho limited entry,,june 5th I believe is deadline,then if ya don't draw you still have otc there so your $162 n r licence isn't a waste.id skip Oregon if I were you,,not good bang for the buck as a non res.

If you have any desire to do it with a bow in your hand I would definitely lean towards Idaho[/QUOTE said:
Curious as to why lean towards ID instead of CO for bow hunting.

Next year's budget is for bow hunting, this year's has already been completely blown up by rifle hunt needs. Not complaining, the gear is just spendy. Because of ID's June 5 date I may go there for my 2nd hunt.

So my plans didn't work out for Nevada or Oregon, zippo for both. Choices left for OTC/leftover tags are ID/CO/UT of course. I'd like to understand more about why Utah is not considered a good choice for general season left over tags? From what I've read, UT elk population statewide approaches 100K and that there is some sort of cronyism that's taking place there but, call me crazy, I'm one who likes tough odds. Any insight would be appreciated...

I can't speak to UT, as I've never hunted there. Montana has had general licenses leftover for the last few years, which is basically an OTC tag. Non-resident cost of $885. Colorado has OTC archery and rifle tags. Non-resident cost of $661 for a bull tag. Either is a great option. I live in CO, so it is an easy decision for me. With that being said, MT is on my to-do list in the next few years.

Either way, my advice would be to pick one and go. There's no better experience than boots on the ground and having incounters in person. What you learn this year can only help you in future years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back