Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

AZ Unit 23 Youth Hunt

bigharge

So my oldest son drew his first ever elk tag in AZ for the October youth hunt for a cow. He is very excited and we are already starting to do some internet scouting as we have never hunted that area before. We are a good 10 hours or so away so we are going to try to make at least 1 scouting trip between now and then just to get some boots on the place and see about coming up with a game plan. My question for anyone familiar with the area or having hunted before is would you start your concentration on the northern half or the southern half of the unit for elk "numbers" Being a cow hunt we aren't worried about quality of elk but quantity. Appreciate your time

I was just in Unit 23 over the weekend and while things will definitely change between now and October, I'd stick to the northern portion of the unit. Plenty of elk around there and easy access to camping - the elk (cows and spikes) will likely be close by to the good roads and campgrounds. Rather than make an extra trip to scout, I'd suggest coming a few days before the hunt. Water conditions will vary greatly between the late summer and October. Good luck to your son on his hunt!

Thanks, will zero in on the northern area then, yeah we will probably come a few days before regardless.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back