Looking for places to Go while in Wyoming!!

Elkhunter24

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are leaving for Wyoming this Saturday (4/28). The plan is to hit up Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, Cody, and Yellowstone. We are staying with some friends and I will even be sneaking in a Turkey hunt while we are there and looking for some sheds. (Thanks to my wife saying yes I could) We will be staying around the Thermopolis area. So what are the must see places while in Jackson Hole, Grand Tetons, and Yellow Stone? We are staying a week and trying to pack in as much as we can! :)

Thank you
Scott

Careful looking for sheds west of the continental divide. You can't do it in Wyoming before the first of May - some places the 15th.

The south entrance to Yellowstone is not open yet and the majority of the roads are still closed. I'm not sure when they will open.

Hit up the extended forecast daily temps while you are packing. Brrrrrrr for those who have already tasted/acclimatized to spring.

There are some neat geological features and dinosaur exhibits around the bighorn basin. Checking out the elk feeding grounds near Jackson Hole would be recommended. I’m leaving for WY myself for work on 4/28. Safe travels.

any idea why it is closed or when it will be back open?

Not plowed yet. Only entrances you will find open are from West Yellowstone and through Gardiner, MT. Still have "feet" of snow in the Park at the moment. Other entrances may be open later in May.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/parkroads.htm
April 20: West Entrance to Madison, Mammoth Hot Springs to Old Faithful, Norris to Canyon.
May 4: East Entrance to Lake (Sylvan Pass), Canyon Junction to Lake.
May 11: South Entrance to West Thumb, Lake to West Thumb, West Thumb to Old Faithful (Craig Pass), Tower Junction to Tower Fall.

Last edited:
Be sure to hit up the Buffalo Bill Center of the West in Cody! You're a bit early, but rafting down the Shoshone is a blast, especially when the grizz are on the banks and you're doing everything you can to stay in the middle of the river. Which route are you taking to and from Cody? It'd be worth the detour to hit up Devils Tower, Mt. Rushmore and Crazy Horse. You could check off all three of those last ones via a Heli tour. Deadwood is the place to make a pit stop too.

In JH Cowboy Coffee is the best coffee, Persephone is my favorite breakfast, and Big Hole BBQ is good for lunch. I avoid the Parks like the plague, but the wildlife viewing can be good and the skyline of the Grand is cool. Skis or snowshoes on National Forest shows the best we have to offer, but I realized that's not a good fit for every type of vacation.

Went to Cody for the first time last September. I have friends who moved up their. I had a blast fly-fishing. My wife really enjoyed the Old-Faithful Inn and soaking in the hot springs in Thermopolis.

Back