Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Water needs for Elk

NVDesertHunter

Drew my first rifle bull tag in New Mexico . I've heard its been a dry winter and water is very limited. The unit has very little public land access also.

My question is: How far will elk travel for water? Ive been locating water sources in the area via Google, but dont know how far away I should be looking for food and cover habitat.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Elk need water even if they are eating on moist feed. More water is needed in August and September due to temperatures being warm and bulls being more active. Find a watering source that is within a few hundred yards of feed and shelter then you should do very well in a dry year. Pressured elk will keep moving until are not pressured so all bets off for which elk are where once hunters are bumping the bulls. If there is no cover near the feed and water then the elk may still be in the area but will tend to feed and water at night so are bedded in cover before sunrise and may stay bedded until dark. Elk will walk a long way between cover and water and feed. I watched bulls cover 3 miles at first light heading to cover.

I think I'm going to use on x and measure. That may work for you

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back