OTC hunt

VAOutdoors

Well after a shock of not drawing a NM resident elk tag I’m heading to Colorado for a OTC hunt. I’m still debating on what unit but I have it narrowed down to 3. Really going to depend on the amount of rain that they get and if there are any fires this year. What are some tips or advice you can give me to help me throughout my hunt. This will be my first OTC hunt in Colorado. Planning on 3-5 days backpacking and then coming out resupplying as needed.

Take somebody with you if you're going to pack in more than a mile. It's an awful lot of meat to carry out yourself and depending on the temps it may go bad before you get it all out.

Or, consider renting llamas. Antero Llama in Salida, CO rents them for $60/day and they will carry up to 80 lbs each. You have to rent them in pairs. They are extremely quiet and don't spook game as much as horses.

I’m actively trying to find someone to go with me. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t want to spend that kind of money and no guarantee of even getting a shot at an elk. I’ll look into the llamas.

I found someone to go on my Colorado deer hunt on this forum, so you never know. Nothing's ever guaranteed in fair chase hunting, especially for elk, and I think most elk hunters are OK with that.

Where are you looking at in CO? I am planning a solo OTC archery elk hunt. I have a ranger so I was planning to drive to some remote/rugged spots then doing 3-4 days backpacking with plans to swing out to restock, or move to a new spot if its not productive.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back