Flat Tops 3rd Rifle Help

lifesupport4u

I am fishing for a little help... plan on heading to the Flat Tops (12, 23, 24) with a cow tag in my pocket for 3rd rifle.

Long story short I will be joining a group of folks to hunt this area. They plan on getting a VRBO, bringing side by sides, playing cards and having some drinks in the evening-- sounds like a good time, but not how I like to hunt. That said, I am somewhat skeptical on the hunt - due to the amount of hunters in these units and that this group I am joining is probably not willing to work as hard as myself at getting an elk. That being said, I anticipate I will be hiking back on my own. I am not sure if I will pick up an OTC bull tag or go to my usual area in 2nd season for a base camp style hunt.

Anyways, I have read what I can on here and other forums about the area. I have looked at onX and google earth and have a few ideas. I would like to get away from the crowds and outfitters as much as possible. Despite my skepticism about this hunt, I am excited start to learn a new area and I know this area has a huge elk population. I do understand of course they get pushed to private and that the weather can cause the roads to become impassable.

If anyone is willing to offer me any help with information on this area it would be immensely appreciated.

I had a cow tag in 12 2nd season last year. We had a main camp (wall tent with all the comforts of home) and a spike camp about 1.5-2 miles from the trailhead. Not going to make it back this year but when I do I would skip on the wall tent. I spent 5 days at the spike camp and saw elk everyday but one ( 2 or three legal bulls and a dozen+ cows. We weren’t that far from the outfitters but they were pretty easy to get along with. Only saw one other group of hunters while I was at spike camp. You can send me a PM if you’re interested in the info on 12.
Disclaimer: Last year was my first elk hunting trip. So I’m not some seasoned Elk slayer but will help you out if I can.

Last edited:
I'll be in the area during 2nd season. We are hunting unit 231 for my first hunt in Colorado. I am hunting with a good friend of mine from the military and they always have good luck in this area. We are setting up a base camp and hiking in everyday 3 to 3 1/2 miles a day to get away from the people. I'll have a OTC bull tag and hopefully a deer tag. I plan on hunting the whole week. Not sure what to expect, but it'll be blast either way. Good luck.

blacksheep

rmauch20- PM sent.

I certainly have no issue hiking back 3 miles or so each day, even in more difficult terrain. I may try to get up there just to familiarize myself on the ground a little with the area this summer.

Not sure if this is any help but I hunted the flat tops in 25 last year for archery mule deer. I was there for the labor day weekend rush. I hiked 7 miles or so into the wilderness area only to run into tons of people. I saw and talked to about a dozen groups of people (hunters, fishermen, horseback, etc.). Of all the people I talked to I was the only deer hunter and no one else had even seen a living critter.

Once on the flat tops the hiking is easy. It is some beautiful country. I saw a few small bucks.... on the neighboring unit. Saw no elk, but tons of elk sign.

Good luck and keep us posted!

What kind of weather do you get in the Flat Tops 3rd session? I want to take my son for an elk hunt but school sports get in the way 1st and 2nd seasons.

I'll be out on Flat Tops in 12 this year for second rifle. Ill try to remember to leave one or two in the area for you ;)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back