Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New watch +altimeter +heart rate monitor -GPS ???

davinski

So my altimeter watch bit the dust after 4 years and many miles. On new ones, I see lots of gee whiz options that usually include GPS. I'd really like to get one with a heart rate monitor but not a battery-sucking GPS. Anyone know if such a unicorn exists? Thanks.

I've recently picked up a Suunto. Battery life ain't bad if you turn down the GPS. And you don't have to use GPS you can just roll the HR monitor. Or neither and just do step count if you really want to conserve energy.

Dcrainmaker has the best watch reviews, imo.

FWIW, I love my Fenix 5x.

I would go Suunto or Polar. POlar was originally HR monitor watch. I would have to look but would think you could get one of there's with what your looking for. Like TheSurveyor said you can turn the GPS function off on the watches so its not even searching. All of the watches in this category that I have used or researched have this function enabling you to turn off HR, GPS, and to create a screen display that has exactly what you want on it. Once you narrow it down i would check out DCRainmaker reviews to see if he has one up on the specific watches you are looking at.

Thanks, all, I really appreciate the input. I guess I'm so beat down by all the various electronics that don't really have "off" settings for apps, or even the whole device, I never really considered just switching the GPS bit off. Never claimed to be the sharpest spoon in the drawer. Will check these out!
Dave

I have the Fenix 5x and love it. I've used the map part just a tiny bit to play with it but overall I love it. I cant wait to use it as designed this year. It will not replace my actual gps unit but as a backup and point tot he trail head use it'll be great.

Really like my Casio Pathfinder, has altimeter, and compass, not gps no heart rate monitor. The compass is much better in my opinion than the watches that cost several times more. Have my phone and gps for gps and always figured if my heart stopped my troubles would be over and wouldn't need to know much else.

I have a Garmin Fenix 3, non-HR and with the GPS off, it'll go a week without a charge. Andrew Skurka has really insightful reviews on GPS watches for trekking and ultra running, and he swears by a Suunto. With all though, the optical wrist HR isn't super accurate, but will give you a ballpark. I use a chest strap with mine when I run and its comfortable, but wouldn't want to wear it for extended time.

https://andrewskurka.com/tag/suunto-ambit/ Here is Skurka's blog archive on Suunto.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back