PEAX Equipment

Wyoming Elk Regulation Question

CiK

I have a hunter's check station question. The Wyoming big game regulations state that every hunter/angler/trapper entering or leaving areas for which check stations have been established shall stop and report at the check station if the check station is on that person's route to and from the area.

Where are they check stations? They say you have to go there, but there is no map or information in the regulations (unless I overlooked them) as to whee they are. Just want to make sure I know where they are for the area I will be in this year.

Tony

They are normally on the main roads where there is a parking lot, rest area, or other place to pull off the road where they can safely do those checks. They are well signed and you'll know if you see one and if it's open. You don't have to worry about finding one since the only time you have to stop is exactly like it says when you're on your actual route to or from your hunting spot, so it's only if the check station is on your side of the road. Then you have to stop whether you have any game or not.

Last edited:
Like Topgun said they are scattered along main roads so you don't have to go out of your way to get to one. If you happen to be driving and see signs for a check station then you have to stop. There is plenty of signage and a lot of the time you can see the G&F trucks parked. It's very casual. They check your license and harvest and just ask you how your hunt was. I like stopping in to talk with those guys. Good opportunity as a nonresident to chat with them about hunting in the state.

As others have stated, it will be clearly obvious when they have them. Do not blow by one. You will be chased down and pulled over.

As others have stated, it will be clearly obvious when they have them. Do not blow by one. You will be chased down and pulled over.

Really lol... I would assume only if you have an elk hanging out of the bed of your truck or something?

Or out of state plates, blaze orange clothing, etc...

I have driven from MT through WY to CO, 20 plus times in the last 5 years during hunting season and I passed a ton of check stations, never had an issue. I was in a truck without of state plates, and my favorite hat is orange... never stopped or was stopped. Definitely stop at the stations and follow the law, but it's not like the wardens in WY are out to get you or going to run you down.

Really lol... I would assume only if you have an elk hanging out of the bed of your truck or something?

I've seen them run folks down more than a couple times while I was waiting to be checked. It's usually pretty obvious when they have a camper, muddy four wheelers with rifle scabbards, coolers strapped everywhere, and it's the Sunday night after hunting season opened.

The biggest misconception people have is they don't have to stop if they don't have critters on board. These are usually the people that get run down and sometimes cited.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back