New Mexico - Elk - 3rd Season - Unit 12

snowmanor

I just found this website and just drew this tag. I have driven through the unit, but never hunted it. I might have time to pre-scout the 1st of October, but wanted some on the ground information prior to scouting. I'll be using GPS, maps and Google Earth to check out the area. It looks like a lot of BLM broken up with landowners. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you!

Howdy.
I'm in 12,know it some....LOL.
Lots of BLM & state lands to hunt. Campsites with shade on BLM tough to find & no camping on state.
Have helped several folks from HT & a couple have filled tags. PM me.

Camping potential at a BLM site on Hwy 117 W of Grants near 'The Narrows'. Also, take a look at the chain of craters area(north of 117), often overlooked but can produce. Also check maps for the country 3 or 4 miles due north of Quemado, also overlooked by most but produces consistently. Hunted/Guided in that country for several years. Land Ownership chip/onyx maps, etc......necessary.

I just found this website and just drew this tag. I have driven through the unit, but never hunted it. I might have time to pre-scout the 1st of October, but wanted some on the ground information prior to scouting. I'll be using GPS, maps and Google Earth to check out the area. It looks like a lot of BLM broken up with landowners. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you!
Hi, I'm considering putting in for this unit this year. How did your hunt go?

Helped 6 HTers with this unit last year,all newbe's. 4 kept in touch and filled tags,but never posted again.

Last edited:
Howdy.
I'm in 12,know it some....LOL.
Lots of BLM & state lands to hunt. Campsites with shade on BLM tough to find & no camping on state.
Have helped several folks from HT & a couple have filled tags. PM me.
Hello sir, I drew a 12 tag, and am interested in hunting the southwest portion. My dad hunted there 15 years ago with a bow and saw many good bulls. But with the rifle tag I am not sure if that is the best spot to focus on especially since the rain this year. I would appreciate your input. Please respond here or email me at [email protected]. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back