MN Opening week success

Eric.MN

Sat out the last few days in search for a gobbling Tom. Thursday was cold and still a bit snow on the ground without hearing nore seeing and glimps of birds. Was a little disappointed thinking the snow might have something to do with it. IMG_5085.jpg
Friday morning was a little different when in early morning a Tom was firing off for over a hour to the east of me. I actually spotted him roosting a few hundred yards out in the neighbors trees when the sun started to peak through the branches.
IMG_5086.jpgIMG_5086.jpg
He was really vocal in the roost, I tried to give him a little pillow talk in hopes he would head my way once down. Soon as he flew out he went mute and didn't bother to show himself. I would have liked to move in closer but the snow was way to crunchy to make a move once I spotted him.
This morning was a little different, sat in the same blind and heard two toms early on but not really responding to my calls. They were on the opposite side of me and again I happen to spot one in the roost in the neighbors trees about 300 yard across the field. Once they came out of roost I saw strutting Tom's fan peaking over the hill top. Two Tom's and five hens made they way into the field, sweet!
IMG_5084.jpg
The Tom's were quiet but still put on a strutting show for the ladies. Did my best calling attempts but trying to pull a Tom off of the live hens but that isn't the easiest. Well good thing those hens got curious about my few decoys and calling cause the two Tom's fallowed them up to me. It took them about 90 min to work their way across the field but I was able to put my Tom down at 42 yards with the ol trusty 870. About a 6inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs. Happy hunter here :)
IMG_5082.jpgIMG_5083.jpg

Very nice! Grats! A couple of those pics from a phone attachment to your bino or spotting scope?

Nice work!!! Looks like some good turkey habitat. Ohio's season doesn't start until Monday, yet way to the north Minnesota's season has already come in. Ohio's season always comes in too late. It's a real bummer down here.

I bet your icy morning turned quite warm as they made their way over towards your location. Congratulations

Congrats. I don't know why, but I just don't turkey hunt. Someday maybe....

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back