Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Socks - layers or not?

Paul in Idaho

I have seen advice that a thin poly liner sock inside your main sock is essential for dry feet and blister prevention. I have also seen people say that's guaranteed to cause blisters.

I used liner socks for years and found a slick fabric caused my feet to slide around and increased blister risk. Rougher fabrics didn't have that problem. More recently I switched to merino socks and skip the liners. I can't say as I have noticed any disadvantage with one merino layer compared to the 2-layer method.

What do you think - are liner socks helpful or not?

With my feet liners are a +1 for blister prevention, but a -2 for toes getting squished to the front of the boot when walking down hill (due to the sliding effect). I have found that 99% of the time merino is good enough alone, but I do keep a super thin/light pair in the pack just in case the 1% need arises in a given hike.

I use a liner sock in the coldest months. I can't seem to keep my toes warm then. I've never gotten blisters. I think the key here is making sure your boot is laced and tied properly to lock your foot in.

I use them if it's cold or if I am going to be hiking all day. But the newer merino socks are way better than old boot socks as mentioned. I wear them daily now.
No boot that fits & tied right ,should let your foot slip. Uphill or down.IMHO

I use them occasionally. Depends on the boots, the land, and the need. I always have at least one pair of good quality liner socks in my pack. I just don't need them very often.

Depends on the boot. My old Raichle Eiger boots need a double sock because they are so darn hard...don't wear them much anymore. I've been a fan of double socks but not a liner of different material. I like two light weight wool socks if I'm going to double up. Back when all my hiking socks were rag wool the thin inner sock was a plus. With looped wool socks I don't think it matters.

I actually just bought a Carhartt 3 pack on Amazon to try out for about 10-12 bucks. Wore them last weekend with some thinner socks and it seemed to help the foot sweat and any boot rubbing. Cant say I'm sold yet but I wear my socks out pretty good.

For you daily merino wearers - what are the best daily merino sock?

I am now a firm believer that with socks just like optics you get what you pay for. Merino wool first lite, or darn tough (made in Vermont with a lifetime warranty) are both great. Always carry two pair along with one pair of liner socks just in case of a hot spot.

I think most sock experts would tell you that less is more. If you fill up your boot with flesh and sock and don't have some air space between the boot leather and sock you are going to have cold feet.

So any more with me a merino wool sock with weight according to expected temperatures, with one identical dry pair in my pack along with one pair of a thin polypro liner just in case. The socks in your pack also substitute as backup mittens.

The other item I never leave home without, even on short day hunts are gaiters. Number one they keep your feet dry by not allowing water to wick in through the top of your boots and they are at a minimum some more wind protection for your lower legs and foot. Always used to cuss my waterproof boots when my feet got wet, now I know it wasn't the boot.

Last edited:
Back