Good News/ Bad News

BigHornRam

Some Bighorns have been photographed in Mill Creek, on the Bitterroot west side. Not sure where they came from. Lots of small hobby flocks of sheep and goats in nearby area. Bio is aware of these sheep. Hoping for the best.

Hoping for the best. Is there a reason Bighorns don't tend to colonize new areas? Are their habitats really that specialized?

I would hazard they came up from the West Fork. I'd be very disappointed if they have to remove any of these animals.

Skalkaho, Petty Creek, or Selway would be also be a possibility. A DNA test could possibly prove where they came from. Young rams tend to wander great distances we are finding out. At least 2 of the 3 sheep pictures I have seen are young rams. The other is one year old. Rock creek could be another possibility. With all The fires there last summer, maybe some were displaced and headed west.

Last edited:
That's neat. Hope they don't have much interaction with the domestic sheep. That never ends well! East Fork, Skalkaho, or West Fork all have sheep so they probably came from one of those locations.

The biologist' initial concern was that the Bighorns could potentially pass on disease to the struggling mountain goat population in the area. A lot of things we really don't know much about still. I certainly do think it's a valid concern.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back