Nosler vs Hornady for 270

jmustard

Hey I am sure there will be numerous answers and opinions but thats exactly what I'm looking for!!
I am shooting a Tikka 270. I have been using the Nosler Ballistic tip 140gr. I do like that round for deer but for elk my understanding that the Ballistic tip isn't ideal. I have also shot the Nosler 150gr long range Accubond. I know that the Acubond would be great but at $60+ a box then I am looking for an alternative.
I have seen the Hornady 145 ELD-x. Has anyone shot these for elk out of a 270? Or do you all think the Ballistic tip would be OK? Opinions welcome and there is no wrong answer!!

THX

I use my 270 frequently for elk. I shoot the federal trophy bonded tip 130 gr. It has performed very well on deer & elk

Other manufacturers load nosler bullets at a nicer price point I've noticed. Like Winchester. I personally shoot Hornady because they seem to be a good value. Anymore they seem to be producing rifles at under 500 that shoot anything pretty well. I have a savage .243 that seems to be such a rifle.

Go with a bonded or partition, i dont like the high bc bullets in .270 for elk but a partition or regular accubond work!

I have used a .270 for over thirty years for elk. 150 gr. partitions were my go to bullet for most of that time. I recently switched to 140 gr. Accubond with good results. Barnes X are also great bullets. Find the one that shoots best in your rifle and go hunt.

My brother and I both shoot 143 gr ELDX in our 6.5's, and he has taken 3 or 4 elk with them with great results. I hand load 130 gr SST in my 270 with great results as well.

If you're worried about price, the Hornady American Whitetail in 140gr Interlock will tip over any elk you see. It will most likely shoot just as good as the $60 a box stuff.

If you're worried about appearances, stick the cartridges in an old Nosler Custom box and your friends won't know the difference.

I've had good luck with 150gr Partitions (deer) out of my .270 win also good luck with 140gr Hornday Interlock (deer) and 140 gr Accubond (deer) All 3 worked well.

The only .270 bullet I've ever had issues with is the SST 130gr. I've had them come apart on deer and antelope. Very accurate, but sort of explosive.

I load a 130 gr. Partition or Accubond for a buddy in his 270 and he's killed several bulls with it. If your's seems to like the 140 gr. Ballistic Tip, the 140 gr. Accubond is very similar in shape and might shoot very well also. Federal, Nosler, and Winchester load it if you don't handload.

If you're worried about price, the Hornady American Whitetail in 140gr Interlock will tip over any elk you see. It will most likely shoot just as good as the $60 a box stuff.

If you're worried about appearances, stick the cartridges in an old Nosler Custom box and your friends won't know the difference.

I am something of a fanboy when it comes to the Interlock bullet. Very fond of the American Whitetail factory ammo. My wife has a .270 that she's never fired at a creature yet, but the 130grn Interlocks are sub MOA in her Remington 700. We've both shot deer and elk in different calibers with American Whitetail and it's been great. For ammo right off the shelf, its my go-to. That or Hornady Custom which is the same except with the boattail design of the Interlock.

Hey I am sure there will be numerous answers and opinions but thats exactly what I'm looking for!!
I am shooting a Tikka 270. I have been using the Nosler Ballistic tip 140gr. I do like that round for deer but for elk my understanding that the Ballistic tip isn't ideal. I have also shot the Nosler 150gr long range Accubond. I know that the Acubond would be great but at $60+ a box then I am looking for an alternative.
I have seen the Hornady 145 ELD-x. Has anyone shot these for elk out of a 270? Or do you all think the Ballistic tip would be OK? Opinions welcome and there is no wrong answer!!

THX

Do you reload?

I use the 140 Accubond in my 270 and wouldn't hesitate to shoot it at elk. Personally I wouldn't shoot a 140 ballistic tip at an elk.

Not a fan of Hornady.

Try the Barnes for factory stuff.

Been a big Hornady fan for a whole lot of years. Working up some loads for a friend's 7mm Rem Mag and he brought me some 162 gr |ELD-X's. Didn't shoot anywhere near as good as I thought they would from what I've read. First few I loaded I dropped in the chamber to make sure they fit, they did and lots of room left in the magazine to seat out farther if need be. Once I decided to load up some for more than 3 rd group's I filled the magazine. Shocked, they wouldn't feed. They came out of the magazine and hit something in the top of the action, I thing the top of the barrel. Got them back down the the book measurement and they still wouldn't feed! Well they are under that now and now they feed. I got him some new bullet's today, 154 gr Inter loc's. Bet they feed and shoot well.

I'm thinking the problem with the ELD-X bullet's is they are just to long, that plastic tip hit's every time seated to what Hornady says. Started out with the base of the bullet just up from the neck shoulder joint and came to one caliber, fine with me! Those ELD-X's are very slender in the nose and long. Guess I'll find out what I find out!

The Hornady ELD-X won't be any better than the Nosler Ballistic Tips you're shooting. They're not a bonded bullet either. I wouldn't use the Long Range Accubond. They're made to open up easier than standard Accubonds, so that at long range and lower velocity they still open up. What you need is regular Accubonds. My 270 shoots 140 grain Accubonds really well. I also like Barnes bullets, 130 or 140 grain. But since you're already shooting 140 Ballistic Tips, I'd suggest trying to get a hold of some 140 grain Accubonds. There's a good chance they'll shoot the same as the Ballistic Tips do in your rifle.

Ditto to above comments on 140-150 gr. bonded and partition. I used 160 gr partition (Doubletap factory load) on my last elk w 270, effective. No experience yet w monometal. 270 is an excellent choice for deer/elk, BTW.

The Hornady ELD-X won't be any better than the Nosler Ballistic Tips you're shooting. They're not a bonded bullet either. I wouldn't use the Long Range Accubond. They're made to open up easier than standard Accubonds, so that at long range and lower velocity they still open up. What you need is regular Accubonds. My 270 shoots 140 grain Accubonds really well. I also like Barnes bullets, 130 or 140 grain. But since you're already shooting 140 Ballistic Tips, I'd suggest trying to get a hold of some 140 grain Accubonds. There's a good chance they'll shoot the same as the Ballistic Tips do in your rifle.

Yep. mtmuley

If the BT's are shooting well in your rifle, I'd stick with them. Don't get caught up in the 'Gotta try sump'in new' endless cycle. BT's are a d@mn good bullet.

Right on for all the info!! I am not hand loading. I am going to grab a few boxes of some different ammo and give it a go. I am impressed with how many of you choose the 130gr for elk. I was under the impression that the 130 wouldn't have the umph that was needed (I know shot placement is everything). Gonna broaden my search!!

Aw, the wonderful world of shooting. Whatever cost's the most is best! A $2000 scope is better than a $200 scope even though they last as long and work well. A premium bullet at twice the cost of a cup and core is a much better bullet. A $1200 rifle is superior to a $400 rifle! Manufacturer's of bullet's, scope's and rifle's rely on that line of thinking to sell product's!

Aw, the wonderful world of shooting. Whatever cost's the most is best! A $2000 scope is better than a $200 scope even though they last as long and work well. A premium bullet at twice the cost of a cup and core is a much better bullet. A $1200 rifle is superior to a $400 rifle! Manufacturer's of bullet's, scope's and rifle's rely on that line of thinking to sell product's!

I guess it depends on your definition of "better"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back