Just Joined, I got an Ibex Permit for the Florida Mountains, and I am super nervous

Flintnapper, I wouldn’t spend more than a day or two scouting. You can get an idea of the mountain and decide where you want to hunt. My hunt (25 tags) wasn’t crowded. We’d see a few hunters but could always find somewhere for ourselves. Success rate on my hunt was ~50%. I’d use whatever rifle you are comfortable shooting. We were able to get within 300 yards but cutting from that distance was hard.

Get in good climbing shape. I’m an Idaho elk and chukar hunter and thought I might die a few times on the trip. You get used (comfortably numb) to crossing paths on cliff faces after three or so. There are areas of the mountain easier to hunt than others but the big ones live in narly country.

You shouldn't have too much trouble tagging out with the rifle based off the feedback from the late archery hunters. Be ready to hike. They glassed from the bottom to locate groups and then one guy stayed up on the hill and the other spotted and helped coordinate the hunters stalk. The hunter rarely left the mountain all day. Be aware of where they would fall if you shot them in certain areas. It would be a bummer not to be able to retrieve one that fell into a spot you couldn't access.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back