Caribou Gear

wyoming unit 68 n.w. of dubois

cheeser

Looking for recent/local info on this unit, I hunted in the area in 07,09,10 but haven't been there since, anybody got some decent scoop in the Sheridan creek/warm springs creek/lava mtn area??? wolves/fires/winter kill etc. etc.?????????

I drew a general but gonna hunt archery. As I stated I have hunted that area in 2007 archery and hunted 17 miles west of there with rifle in 09, just wondering if somebody out there has hunted that area more recently with some thoughts on numbers if they are going up/down same. if there are areas of recent burns, maybe some locals I could contact?? or maybe someone local who might wanna partner up, I hunted there before and I do know there is plenty of griz and this year , as of right now I am going solo, which is not something that makes me totally comfortable.

The lava Mountain fire in 2016 burned about 14,600 acres on forest in the area you are talking about and yes the bears in that area were a little surly while I was on that fire, remember a story of a grizzly sow knocking over a hiker then bouncing on him a few times before trotting off. I'd give a call to the local FS office there in Dubois and ask to talk with their fire management officer(FMO) Jay Slagowski. He's a good guy and has been in the area forever and should be able to give you good info. Can't remember for certain if he is based in Lander or Dubois but would still know a lot

thank you sir. the usfs actually has the 2016 fire area on their maps they sent me, i just didnt know how far back in time they plotted those fires. i will give him a call. thank you, thats what i am looking for.

Also I know another UP'er that knows the area fairly well down there that hunts pretty hard, you could also call him seems how you guys speak the same language. Call the Ft Washakie BIA office and ask for Mike Lapointe and he might be able to help as well

thanks, I made contact with both , good info. very small world I know Mikes dad and Mike knows my son. gonna make contact with both as season gets near , mike actually mentioned going with me. thanks again.

thanks, I made contact with both , good info. very small world I know Mikes dad and Mike knows my son. gonna make contact with both as season gets near , mike actually mentioned going with me. thanks again.
Yeah no problem, Mike is a good guy and has no problem putting 20 miles on, in a day and he's a killer. Good to hear things worked out for you

Back