Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Elk hunting in Idaho - archery diy

Huntin' Fool

I’ve hunted and worked Idaho a lot since 1980. I have a forestry degree and worked quite a few NF’s as an independent contract timber cruiser. Have also worked in Oregon, Washington and Montana.

Thought I’d help some diy.

I’ve elk hunted in units 9,10,12,17,19A, 20A,22,23,24,25,26,27,32A,33,39,48,49,51. Sheep hunted 28.

Worked in units 10,12,15,33,36,36A,36B,37,37A,43,44,48,50,5154,55,56,57.

In my opinion:

Elk Archery Top units 36, 36A, 36B, 37A, 37, 43, 48, 49, 50 , 51. Also 22, 23, 24, 31, 32A.

Units I worked and have wanted to hunt: 43 and 37A

43 and 48 have a large network of trail motorcycle trails though out. Worked forest surveys with my Honda XL 200 for 2 months. Closed to 4 wheelers. Good way to get away from others.

Worked 37A in Sept. ’96 - Bulls were a bugling and saw many.

Most units a good combo with mule deer. And antelope in the 36 to 51 group.

I would archery hunt in a unit that has a draw for rifle elk. The archery only draws are all excellent.

Moose, sheep and goats if you can draw.

Units from 1 - 7 and 58 to 78 - don’t know them except driving thru, they do kill a lot game in both north and east Idaho.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. I spent some time in the west side of 43 last fall. With te large network of trails and proximity to the valley this area was pretty crowded. Atvs and dirt bikes on every ridge.

That list should include almost every unit that border's MT also...... the' top unit in the state is 31 IMHO for OTC, now if you could ever draw a 40 or 42 elk tag I believe I have seen the state record typical elk there while doing that early deer hunt a few years ago, but finding them in that thick Juniper jungle is about impossible.....
Matt

That list should include almost every unit that border's MT also...... the' top unit in the state is 31 IMHO for OTC, now if you could ever draw a 40 or 42 elk tag I believe I have seen the state record typical elk there while doing that early deer hunt a few years ago, but finding them in that thick Juniper jungle is about impossible.....
Matt

Just asking because I'm genuinely curious, what makes you say that 31 is the top unit? It seems to have a lot of roads and it isn't very big in comparison to other units in the state. I mean I haven't been there before but that unit has always seemed interesting.

I've deer and chukar hunted 31 quite a bit. For elk - 31 kills some big bulls - tough rifle draw. Archery kills more bulls than rifle - hunted fairly hard by Idahoans. A negative is that it warmer in September than units north and east.

Thoughts on the trophy quality in the Frank and Salmon zones compared to the archery units without a general rifle. Not quite as good but the remoteness can allow for some trophies is my experience.

Positive info like that is always appreciated FH!! Headed to the Lemhi and gonna get a "little lost" this september :hump:

Last edited:
Just asking because I'm genuinely curious, what makes you say that 31 is the top unit? It seems to have a lot of roads and it isn't very big in comparison to other units in the state. I mean I haven't been there before but that unit has always seemed interesting.

First and Second hand knowledge of the unit, 31 doesn't have as many roads as you think, there are some. What grows big bulls there is the open country with great feed and that keeps anyone from getting too close to them. It is also unimaginable steep in anything that drains into Brownlee Reservoir/Snake River. It also is hot most years during the season. I have seen some huge bulls in this unit, it would not surprise me if the next state record elk or deer came from this unit.
Matt

I tagged along with my brother last year in #31. He missed a nice 6pt, and bagged a nice 3pt buck. I'm hunting with him this year. We hunted the opener last year, and will probably hunt it again this year, just because it's the opener. But having to deal with the grouse hunters :(! I wish ID F & G would push back, or forward, the grouse opening day. Geez, talk about a war zone. We hunted grouse also, but not on the Elk opener. There are some amount of roads, and quads. But they stay on the roads. The heat was a bigger concern. Have to get that animal cooled down. We'll hunt the opener again, and if unsuccessful, go back during the rut.IMG_2718.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2720.jpg
    IMG_2720.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,135
Thanks for all your info FH. Just curious. Are the units you mentioned listed in order of "most desired" to "less ... I hunted the Panhandle three years ago, #4. I had three opportunities in 5 days. Just couldn't close the deal. I did miss a nice bull too. I would hunt there again, but my bro wants a zone closer to home (Nampa)

I’ve hunted and worked Idaho a lot since 1980. I have a forestry degree and worked quite a few NF’s as an independent contract timber cruiser. Have also worked in Oregon, Washington and Montana.

Thought I’d help some diy.

I’ve elk hunted in units 9,10,12,17,19A, 20A,22,23,24,25,26,27,32A,33,39,48,49,51. Sheep hunted 28.

Worked in units 10,12,15,33,36,36A,36B,37,37A,43,44,48,50,5154,55,56,57.

In my opinion:

Elk Archery Top units 36, 36A, 36B, 37A, 37, 43, 48, 49, 50 , 51. Also 22, 23, 24, 31, 32A.

Units I worked and have wanted to hunt: 43 and 37A

43 and 48 have a large network of trail motorcycle trails though out. Worked forest surveys with my Honda XL 200 for 2 months. Closed to 4 wheelers. Good way to get away from others.

Worked 37A in Sept. ’96 - Bulls were a bugling and saw many.

Most units a good combo with mule deer. And antelope in the 36 to 51 group.

I would archery hunt in a unit that has a draw for rifle elk. The archery only draws are all excellent.

Moose, sheep and goats if you can draw.

Units from 1 - 7 and 58 to 78 - don’t know them except driving thru, they do kill a lot game in both north and east Idaho.
Greetings - Heading out this year to 36B - You seemed to be pretty knowledgeable so I thought I would ask your thoughts on Elk hunting - I have an 36B archery Tag - Suggested places to start? Best mode or modes of transportation? - I hear 36B can have plenty of road hunters - thanks not my style - looking for suggestions there as well - THX

Did a fair amount of bow hunting in 36A/36B. Biggest bull i have ever laid eyes on at 15 yards was in 36A. Slate creek. Still shaking after seeing that one. Unbelievable hunt even tho I didn't get the shot.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back